Shimano down tube levers. The bit behind them🤔

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Remember down tube levers?
They had a small circular piece that fitted over the boss. Contoured to fit against the tube. A small and inconsequential pice of kit.
Has any body got a couple lying around?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A picture paints a thousand words....

slow scot

Veteran
I probably have spare ones you can have as I use only down tube gears on my bikes.
Let me have your address and I’ll get some posted to you. It’ll be a day or two. No charge involved.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
OK. Problem solved. A big, big thank you to @slow scot. Bob seems to have the world supply of these items.

If any of you bike doer uppers and restoration men ever need any of these then you will have a bit of a problem. Shimano no longer supply these so you will be hunting round like I did.

I found one pair in Switzerland and another pair in Slovakia. Both at ridiculous prices. There were some in USA at approx £5 each but with £25 postage and who knows what postal fees and taxes.

If you have these then look after them, they are rarer than hen's teeth.

Eziemnaik

Ãœber Member
Does anybody know how these are called?:laugh:

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
They are down tube bosses.
Why, do you want some? I have now found another pair. All my searching seems to have paid off - eventually. Let me know if you do.
You can still get the bosses with a flat back. They are used in bar end shifters especially for tri athletes and time trial machines. The curved back version to fit on down tubes are an endangered species.
They are made of some form of metal. I'm not sure if 3d material would be resilient enough, but it might be worth a try.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
@Darius_Jedburgh cheers, but it was just curiosity.
Well they are very old technology nowadays. Ever since STI came in around the early 1990s these have been obsolete. They were superseded by cable stops on the bosses and now with internal cabling at electronic shifting they are hardly remembered.

I'm only interested because I'm refurbishing a frame that has been rattle can sprayed including these bosses. They are yucky yellow and that simply will not go with my chosen colour of Tekecom/ONCE pinky purpley mauvy magenta😱😱😱

Top Bottom