Shimano fd-m100 replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Today I had a bit of time to put the new chainset from Spa on to the Holdsworth and came across an issue, the front derailleur I was using is not compatible as the rear plate is one of the deep section ones so catched the 38t ring. I have the original derailleur from this bike which works flawlessly apart from the rear plate is worn through so the chain catches, but the concept is proven.

So what i need is a replacement for the FD-M100, has anyone got any ideas?

Needs to be triple compatible, 8 speed and band-on and allow for 28.6 tube. 48T big ring, 38 middle and 28t small but would like to have the option to drop to 26t.

Bottom pull too.

Thanks

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Friction shift?

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
cage shape appears to be the issue, not what is moving it

@GeekDadZoid there appear to be FD-M100 on Ebay from £7.99? or is it the FDM100 that is the wrong shaped cage??
I spotted that one but for this I would rather buy new unless I could see the item first or was from someone on here for example and you know it is in good condition.

The fd-m100 is the right shape.
I wasn’t asking for that reason. Have another go at working out why I’m asking that question, as it affects the possible solutions !
Friction

GuyBoden

Guru
I installed one of these NOS Shimano Triple FD on my bike last, works faultlessly. Look at the picture to see if the small cage is compatible for you.

£20+pp

https://bankruptbikeparts.co.uk/col...front-gear-mech-derailleur-bottom-pull-28-6mm

s-l1600_20_12__clipped_rev_1_1600x1066-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
That does look pretty much the exact shape I am after and with a 27t capacity I might be able to get a 24t inner on there, or even 22t it available as that's what I have been running.

Edit I just remembered 24t is the lowest j can get on the 74bcd inner

Last edited:
OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
In which case pretty much any triple front derailleur from 7 speed to 10 speed should work once you find one with the right shape.

Ok that's good to know. I'll do some digging

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Actually the triple one I was using had a particularly large inner plate, and it was only just catching so I guess either would clear. I have found a cheap shimano one on SJS which should do the job and I was placing an order anyway so I have gone for that, I will probably keep my eye out for a bargain higher spec one.

1652951175681.png

This is the one that didnt work and FD-M371

Top Bottom