Shimano Freehub Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Cannot figure out how to get a freehub off to service or replace.

I can get an allen key inside the wheel that is a perfect fit, but what do I do next - do I need to get a tool to grab the freehub,

I think I asked this before about 100 times, so apologies in advance.

Cue Youtube video

Tim Hall

Just undo it in the usual direction.

e-rider

crappy member
a new freehub body usually costs more than a new rear hub for some reason - I guess not many are sold so the price is high?

lpretro1

a new freehub body usually costs more than a new rear hub for some reason - I guess not many are sold so the price is high?
That isn't really true though it does it depends on the actual hub - Shimano freehub bodies can be bought for less than £20. If the hub bearing seats are badly worn then yes it'd a good idea to change the whole hub. But if you buy a whole new hub then you have to rebuild the wheel - not everyone has the skill to do that themselves so you'd end up paying for that to be done - so it's a lot easier to just get the appropriate freehub body and pop that on :smile:

Reactions: gbb

e-rider

crappy member
That isn't really true though it does it depends on the actual hub - Shimano freehub bodies can be bought for less than £20. If the hub bearing seats are badly worn then yes it'd a good idea to change the whole hub. But if you buy a whole new hub then you have to rebuild the wheel - not everyone has the skill to do that themselves so you'd end up paying for that to be done - so it's a lot easier to just get the appropriate freehub body and pop that on :smile:
yes I just looked at the price of Shimano freehub bodies and they are much cheaper than they used to be and much more available - 20 years ago it was almost impossible to buy a replacement freehub body

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Shimano freehubs are held on by a hollow bolt that passes through the freehub and screws into the hub shell. It's just a matter of undoing the bolt with a 10 mm allen key in the normal manner.

The problem comes when the hub isn't built into a wheel, as the hub shell offers very little to grip on.
Should that be the case, it's probably best just to take a deep breath and rebuild the wheel, but I think the freehub ratchet works the right way that you may possibly get somewhere by putting the long end of the allen key right through the hub, clamping the short end in a big bench vice, and turning the large sprocket with a strong chainwhip.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

Top Bottom