shimano front mech question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
with apologies to Tundragumski for plagiarising his thread title....:biggrin:

All the Shimao literature suggests total range on a triple front mech is 22 teeth, (and their cranksets 52-42-30 or 52-39-30 all seem to go by that)
but since the mechs will typically have a bit in reserve to cope with less than perfect set up, they will likely go a bit further than 22T

So my question is this... how far will they go, has anyone on here got them to work at 24T total range ? 26T?

Obviously you'll be hitting top or bottom of cage if the rings are too different, but since I've just got my hands on some beautiful new (but dirt cheap) TA rings, one at 50T and one at 24T I'm interested in exploring the limits.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've had a Sora triple front mech working on 48/38/24. It was showing no signs of being near the limits, so I wouldn't rule out 50/x/24.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'm considering swapping my inner to a 24 or 26 on the 30/42/52 bike. Varying opinions some but general trend seems to be that it can be done. I've seen a lot of comment that you're better off using a lower end FD for this purpose, tiagra or below. But I'm also looking at bar end shifters on this bike and would run the left on friction, so that would help as well.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Worth a try then, thanks folks.xx(
I'll look out for a matching 36 or 38 to go in middle position.

I've a 105 front mech on at present, but I can always swop that with the Tiagra from SWMBO's bike if it's going to make a difference.

As for the shifters: At present it's on Sora 9 speed, but if that doesn't work, I could go back to DT shifter for the rear. Did I read somewhere Lance did this once?

Or I might try Campag 10 speed Ergos (that works with Shimano 9 speed - right? ) as I gathered the front isn't indexed on those, and I've a Record triple front mech in my box of spares stupid impulse Ebay purchases.

Never mind "Shimergo".... this could turn into the "FrankenGalaxy" :thumbsup:

Top Bottom