Shimano Gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Basically, the bit's get a bit better and lighter, and more expensive.

Better by quality of parts, better bearings, better finish/polishing... Once into 105 and above the difference is smaller. I run Ultegra and Dura Ace on my two road bikes - it's all fairly old, but works well. The Dura Ace stuff is better finished and has a more crisp feel/operation than Ultegra. Strictly speaking, it should last longer. For example, my DA rear mech is 16 years old, the jocky wheels still smooth and the mech has no play at all (i.e. not loose) - worth the extra...yes.

Depends upon your budget and the riding it will get. For example, Ultegra will last much longer in adverse conditions than Sora, and the price differential isn't hugeh. Ultegra to Dura Ace....not much in it !

They rank in this order:-

Dura-Ace
Ultegra
Tiagra
Sora

Conventional wisdom has it that for anything but a committed racer, 105 is more than adequate and any difference is negligible.

The main actual difference is in weight and materials. Unless you have a complete groupset, inc the chainset, there isn't much in it really. Unless you are a complete weight weeny of course. I have D-A on my Sunday best bike. I only got it because I wanted to have the 'best'. With the benefit of hindsight I would have got 'lesser' mechanicals and spent the money saved on better wheels (or even a better frame).

bonj2

nowadays, higher end ones are just lighter. no other difference really.
in the past they may have been slightly better made but not much.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Bonj, GET OUT of know-how. Comments like that are completely worthless and wrong.

there is a world of difference between Dura-Ace and sora, and it appears you don't know this.

For example:
shifting is better in the higher quality groupsets
the more expensive sets last longer
Also they're are lots of individual nuances to each range , and you could find someone running a specific component form one range because its available in that gearing, ie cassette ratio

bonj2

Steve Austin said:
Bonj, GET OUT of know-how. Comments like that are completely worthless and wrong.

there is a world of difference between Dura-Ace and sora, and it appears you don't know this.

For example:
shifting is better in the higher quality groupsets
the more expensive sets last longer
Also they're are lots of individual nuances to each range , and you could find someone running a specific component form one range because its available in that gearing, ie cassette ratio

well, that's not what i've heard.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Have you ever used dura-ace, ultegra, 105, tiagra, sora?

would you be able to tell the difference between your arse and your elbow them?

bonj2

Steve Austin said:
Have you ever used dura-ace, ultegra, 105, tiagra, sora?

would you be able to tell the difference between your arse and your elbow them?

certain bike shop staff admit dura-ace is only lighter, this isn't in the bike shop's best interest as they want you to buy dura-ace, and thinking there's something more to it would make you more likely to.

certain cyclists say dura-ace is more than just lighter, this IS in their best interest as they want to feel like there was a point in them spending all that extra money on it.

who's more likely to be right...

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Bonj, move away from KNOW HOW. you are just spouting nonsense about products you know nothing about.

If you want to talk bollocks get into Soapbox

bonj said:
oh shut it, you don't know any better than i do.

As someone who has spent more than twenty years in the cycle trade, who worked as a mechanic on the British HPV Racing Team and who now works for the pre-eminent cycling promotion company as Head of Technical Services with responsibility for the maintenance and up-keep of 400 bikes I feel qualified to tell you that Steve does in fact know more than you do.

The clue is in the title. If it said 'Guess how' you'd be fine. It doesn't, it says 'Know How'. And clearly you dont know what the feck you are talking about.

Oh, I think you're being too harsh on Bonjie.

After all, on 10th of December on this post
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6396
he was asking the very same Q as the OP, and here's what he thought...

bonj said:
I just won these shifters - what do you reckon , not bad for £75 inc p+p? or not great?

and where does '105' come in the sequence?
the way i understand it it's
Dura-Ace <--- highest
Ultegra
Tiagra
Sora
??? others ???
??? <----- lowest

where does 105 fit into this?

are these shifters going to be alright do you reckon with my existing 8 speed mech, and new cable outer?

So clearly he's [now, 19 days later] a fully-qualified expert...

yenrod

yorkshiregoth said:
Is there a great deal of difference between Shimano Sora and Tiagra and 105 and Ultegra and Dura-Ace?

Yorks - Ive got Tiagra sti levers and as much as they do they job and are 9sp: go for the 10sp. as the lever stroke aint a big AND ALSO go for something better than Tiagra ie 105 upwards...

The top stuff; Dura Ace, XTR, SRAM Red, X.0, and Record are superb. It's like jewellery. The design, materials and build quality are like nothing else. Its all flagship stuff and absolutely built to last. My old XTR rear mech has seen 12 years of neglect and abuse by me and then Ms Mickle. Without anything more than an occasional wash and one replacement of jockey wheels the thing still has less pivot play than a brand new Deore. If you can afford the top stuff go for it.

Top Bottom