Shimano hub bearing service

• Thread starter Deleted member 121159
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121159

SHimano.jpg

Has anyone replaced 4 in the picture? I heard removing and re-installing 9 ('Seal ring') isn't a good idea as it gets damaged and sealing becomes poor. Do you replace that as well then?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The existing can become distorted so you may have to replace it. Don't see how this could become damaged, it's fairly sturdy.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You probably won't find that part separately, so remove carefully. The caged bearings can be replaced with loose ones. TBH check the bearing races and cones for pitting as it's usually too late if the hub is running rough.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

Thanks for the responses. Didn't realise I could replace it with loose balls. That'd be better for future maintenance.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You might not be able to fit more balls loose!

I thought the same when servicing my son's MTB Shimano rear hub and wondered why one side was caged and one loose. Tried to fit loose balls both sides but actually couldn't get any more in as the nylon retainer was very space efficient.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

You might not be able to fit more balls loose!

I thought the same when servicing my son's MTB Shimano rear hub and wondered why one side was caged and one loose. Tried to fit loose balls both sides but actually couldn't get any more in as the nylon retainer was very space efficient.

Interesting. I might try with both options and see.

Top Bottom