Shimano hub sealing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ThunderGuts

Morning all,

Hoping I can tap into the experience and knowledge of this forum! On my commuter I have fairly inexpensive machine built wheels (Shimano Mach / Tiagra Hub - unsure of the exact model though) and the front is fine, but the rear seems to be very poorly sealed. I am gentle with washing, never use a powerful setting on the hose and never point water at the hub anyway (it's a singlespeed conversion setup, cleaning is chain brush and rag on the chain itself and a wipe down of the sprocket and chainring, so no degreaser pointed at the hub either), but I think commuting 100 miles a week through the wintry muck and rain just gets into it. I'm finding the grease is turning to mayo on the drive side within 700 miles; it's not a massive chore to keep stripping and regreasing the hub, but it is irritating. Is it worth upgrading to say a 105 hub, will I get significantly better sealing, or is it all a much of a muchness? Just wondering if a cheap hub is the cause of my woes and a false economy . . .

Cheers. :-)

Rob

P.S. this is the state of the drive side hub after 700 miles! Races and balls are still fine fortunately, so I caught it in time, but the grease is no longer the lovely golden translucent hue . . .

mucky_hub.jpg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have XT hubs and a regrease once a year or couple of years is all it needs with around 10,000 to 13,000 miles a year ridden. I presume you are not riding into floods so deep they go over the hubs?

OP
OP
T

ThunderGuts

No not at all! I have ridden through the odd flood but nothing over 6" (and not recently either!). I wonder if XT hubs are better sealed being intended for off road?

Top Bottom