shimano hub with campag spacing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Has anyone tried this ? I'm sure someone has on here.
I have Campag gears and am looking at a Shimano wheel.

If I get 8 individual Shimano sprockets and use my campag spacers (assuming they will fit over the Shimano splines) will it work ok.

I can't see any reason why it shouldn't.

I don't believe you can buy a shimano cassette as individual pieces and if you could I suspect it would probably cost more anyway. Why mess about, just buy a shimano cassette and pop it on, job done

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
2218588 said:
Apart from 7/8 speed, proper "ctc" mix and match possibilities only exist if the OP also change the rear mech when the wheel/freehub is Shimano because there is no other sprocket spacing coincidence.

To answer the OP's original question, special spacers from Highpath can space e.g. Shimano sprockets onto a Shimano freehub at Campag spacing (or vice versa). However because Shimano and Campag cassettes don't have the same width (nor the same splines nor diameter nor even sprocket thickness - which is why one can not just use the Campag spacers), one might end up with 1 fewer sprocket correspondingly in this case.

Additionally one can buy Marchisio cassettes, but it is a less elegant solution in my view.

boydj

Legendary Member
I use the Ambrosio cassette with a Shimano spline and Campag spacing. Works fine, but it's only available in 10-speed. Good value too at only £30.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
I use the Ambrosio cassette with a Shimano spline and Campag spacing. Works fine, but it's only available in 10-speed. Good value too at only £30.
Yes that looks a neat option even though only have an 8 speed. Two unused sprockets waiting for a full upgrade then.

I liked the 'Shiftmate' device too, neat quick solution. Costly for what it is though.

boydj

Legendary Member
A 10-speed cassette won't work with 8-speed shifters - the spacing's all different, with less space between cogs and a narrower chain required. I'm afraid that the 'Shiftmate' may be the best solution.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
With Campag 8 speed shifter and mech just a set of Highpath spacers should be enough to let you have 8 sprockets from a 7/8/9 speed Shimano or compatible cassette (with individual cogs not ones with spiders) on any 8/9/10 speed Shimano freehub. It is not only the cheapest but also likely the best solution since introducing anything within the gear cabling system can only degrade its operation.

Top Bottom