Shimano M540 Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Mmmm? Why do you think that:
M520:
Features*Bearings: Sealed cartridge *Axle: Steel *Body: Alloy *Cleat material: Steel
So for <£30 - 520s. For £60: 540s.
M520 weighs 380g; M540 weighs 355g.
PS Aluminium is a metal; just saying.

I know Aluminium is a metal. The spindle on the 540 sits in an aluminium chamber as opposed to a plastic chamber of the 520's within the pedal body. Also, it has been noted that the bearings are smoother from the get go as opposed to the 520's; I can't comment on that. The finish is better on the 540's and some component parts and materials are the same or similar to certain XTR model pedals.

Attached are photos of the spindle assembly of the 520, the 540 and a larger picture of the plastic chamber of the 520's.

Attachments

• 30469.jpg
    30469.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 30460.jpg
    30460.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 30457.jpg
    30457.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I know Aluminium is a metal. The spindle on the 540 sits in an aluminium chamber as opposed to a plastic chamber of the 520's within the pedal body. Also, it has been noted that the bearings are smoother from the get go as opposed to the 520's; I can't comment on that. The finish is better on the 540's and some component parts and materials are the same or similar to certain XTR model pedals.

Attached are photos of the spindle assembly of the 520, the 540 and a larger picture of the plastic chamber of the 520's.
the "chamber" isn't the spindle though, as I think you said the spindle was plastic.
It's my understanding that the main differences between the two pedals are that yes the bearings are better from the get-go on the 540s (but that the 520s bearings are effectively just as good) that the 540s are lighter (who cares?) and that the 520s have spanner flats - a very good thing IMHO - I'd personally never buy any pedals without flats.
As for "finish" - well I've never had anyone admire the finish of my pedals - nor kiss my feet or cleats for that matter - maybe I mix in the wrong circles.

Last edited:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
the "chamber" isn't the spindle though, as I think you said the spindle was plastic.
It's my understanding that the main differences between the two pedals are that yes the bearings are better from the get-go on the 540s (but that the 520s bearings are effectively just as good) that the 540s are lighter (who cares?) and that the 520s have spanner flats - a very good thing IMHO - I'd personally never buy any pedals without flats.
As for "finish" - well I've never had anyone admire the finish of my pedals - nor kiss my feet or cleats for that matter - maybe I mix in the wrong circles.
You do mix in the wrong circles , but it has absolutely nothing to do with your choice of pedals :laugh:.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The pedals you have linked to are the M520's. Same/similar pedals but the spindle is plastic and aluminium where as the spindle on the 540's are metal

I know Aluminium is a metal. The spindle on the 540 sits in an aluminium chamber as opposed to a plastic chamber of the 520's within the pedal body.
[<Pedant>] Pedals don't have spindles: not plastic, not aluminium and not 'metal'. All these axles are steel.

D

Deleted member 1258

So ten years for a £70 pedal. That's £7 a year. Maybe I'm being unreasonable but that doesn't seem too wonderful, but then I don't know what sort of mileage it's clocked up.

Thats very cheap.

D

Deleted member 1258

doesn't srike me as cheap - maybe you use special purpose pedals of some sort.

It works out around 50-60p a month which ain't expensive, I'm on click R pedals, double sided on the Eastway.

1648368952342.png

Single sided on the Genesis.

1648369370217.png

It works out around 50-60p a month which ain't expensive, I'm on click R pedals, double sided on the Eastway.

View attachment 637260

Single sided on the Genesis.

View attachment 637263

still wouldn't pay £70 for pedals though dave - surprised you didn't quote the "cup of coffee" thing, which sometimes seems to justify anything. :smile:

Trust you maintain your pedals.

D

Deleted member 1258

still wouldn't pay £70 for pedals though dave - surprised you didn't quote the "cup of coffee" thing, which sometimes seems to justify anything. :smile:

Trust you maintain your pedals.

I wouldn't pay 70 quid for pedals either, I haven't had to touch these yet.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
[<Pedant>] Pedals don't have spindles: not plastic, not aluminium and not 'metal'. All these axles are steel.
Is that a dictionary definition, a mechanical engineering definition, or just convention for bikes?
(Sincere question)

Might also be a shaft?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Sheldon
"Axle The shaft at the middle of a bearing. There is some controversy as to whether "axle" or "spindle" should be used in particular contexts. The distinction is based on whether the axle/spindle is stationary, as that in a hub, or rotates, as that in a bottom bracket. There have been bitter flame wars fought in magazine letters columns over this point."
For me, a spindle has to spin. If it doesn't (hub, pedal) it's an axle. Don't think 'shaft' is used in bike terminology (but no doubt someone will find something). But of course in 4+ wheeled the drive is through axles to the wheels.
Hence pedant prefix.

Fastpedaller

Revival of old (ish) thread....... the easy way to service the M520 pedals is to remove the sleeve (with the very low cost dedicated tool) making sure you undo it in the correct direction for that pedal (they are handed) or the sleeve can be ruined. Withdraw the axle complete with its bearings - the bearing balls are very small, and removing them is a faff likely to lead to frustration and loss of very small ball bearings! - so don't remove them. Just put a dollop of fresh grease (about a teaspoonful) into the pedal body and replace the axle assembly. When you screw in the sleeve the old/dirty grease will come out of the seal. Clean the old grease away, being careful not to damage the seal, and as best possible get the seal back into position at the end of the sleeve - job done. after using for a ride, just wipe any excess grease away and check the seal position.

Top Bottom