Shimano Nexus 8 wheel nuts

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Piscator, 14 Apr 2010.

1. Piscator

Piscator Active Member

The right hand(chain side) axle nut on my Dutch Gazelle/Shimano Nexus 8 cycle has split down one side. It's a plain nut rather than a cap nut because of the chain guard.

It's a stainless steel, thin wall nut (could really be thicker) and by my measurement is 3/8". The Shimano leaflet bears this out.

However, I can't tell what thread form it is. It looks as if it could be UNF or perhaps metric fine-given that it's Japanese.

Does anyone know what it is?

2. PpPete

PpPete Guru

Not sure about yours but most rear axles are M10 x 1.0
    That is a metric fine thread.

Your LBS should be able to find one for you.
    or I've probably got an old one kicking around that I can send you, wouldn't necessarily be shiny stainless though:smile:!

3. buddha

buddha Veteran

I think they're fine thread M9
    edit: that's what Madison says - try a local hardware shop for something beefier

4. OP
    OP
    Piscator

Piscator Active Member

Thanks for that. 3/8" is of course M10 equivalent, and I notice that the Shimano leaflets (later ones) give M10 for the same parts which were 3/8". I've got lots of M10 coarse stainless nuts, as I use them in my commercial fishing boat - none of the fine, but there's an excellent fastening supplier in Lowestoft.

Spot on, buddha - time for something with a bit more meat in it. I always use a Norbar torque wrench (30-45 Nm for these nuts) for important fasteners, and I've never anywhere seen a nut split like this. Unlike most UK stainless nuts, it's not marked with the grade (A2 or A4 usually).

Thanks for the info. Any problems and I'll be back.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice