Shimano Nexus 8 wheel nuts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piscator

The right hand(chain side) axle nut on my Dutch Gazelle/Shimano Nexus 8 cycle has split down one side. It's a plain nut rather than a cap nut because of the chain guard.

It's a stainless steel, thin wall nut (could really be thicker) and by my measurement is 3/8". The Shimano leaflet bears this out.

However, I can't tell what thread form it is. It looks as if it could be UNF or perhaps metric fine-given that it's Japanese.

Does anyone know what it is?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Not sure about yours but most rear axles are M10 x 1.0
That is a metric fine thread.

Your LBS should be able to find one for you.
or I've probably got an old one kicking around that I can send you, wouldn't necessarily be shiny stainless though:smile:!

OP
OP
P

Piscator

Thanks for that. 3/8" is of course M10 equivalent, and I notice that the Shimano leaflets (later ones) give M10 for the same parts which were 3/8". I've got lots of M10 coarse stainless nuts, as I use them in my commercial fishing boat - none of the fine, but there's an excellent fastening supplier in Lowestoft.

Spot on, buddha - time for something with a bit more meat in it. I always use a Norbar torque wrench (30-45 Nm for these nuts) for important fasteners, and I've never anywhere seen a nut split like this. Unlike most UK stainless nuts, it's not marked with the grade (A2 or A4 usually).

Thanks for the info. Any problems and I'll be back.

Top Bottom