Shimano or Campag hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I bought some new wheels a couple of years ago but never used them. (I thought the old wheels were worn but discovered later that the wear indicators showed they were still good.) Last night, my brother-in-law saw them and asked if he could borrow the new back wheel to fit a new Campag cassette to. Fine with me, but I have forgotten which of my two bikes I bought them for. From the splines on the hub, how do I tell if it suits Shimano or Campag? Is there a diagram out there that shows the difference between the spline geometry?

Thank you.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Do a bit of googling and you'll find a picture of each.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
100% definately a Shimano freehub @slowmotion

No need to count the splines. Shimano has shallow splines, Campag has deep ones. Shimano made a mistake when it opted for the shallow spline system since it didn't anticipate the advent of aluminium freehub bodies. Now Shimano-splined wheels are getting gouged by cassettes whilst Campag owners are smiling all the way.

Shallow Shimano
Deep Campag.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No need to count the splines. Shimano has shallow splines, Campag has deep ones. Shimano made a mistake when it opted for the shallow spline system since it didn't anticipate the advent of aluminium freehub bodies. Now Shimano-splined wheels are getting gouged by cassettes whilst Campag owners are smiling all the way.

Shallow Shimano
Deep Campag.
My splines are a little under 1.8mm tall. It's hard to get an accurate measurement because of the curve of the hub.

Top Bottom