Shimano or Look?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benthedoon

Pedals are pedals aren't they? Apparently not, I converted to clipless a while ago but I didn't do any research I just bought Shimano SPD-SL's because they were cheap and the shop I was in had some and some compatible shoes, however I'm looking to get a new bike and I want decent pedals, I can't fault my shimano's (no frame of reference though) but from a purely asthetic point of veiw there are some Look's that will match the bike beautifully. Is there a better choice for weight or ease of use? or is buying pedals because they look nice going to be alright in this case.

gbb

Legendary Member
Ive always had Looks, no great reason, just what i started, and stuck with so i cant compare the two. My previous Deltas and current Keos work fine, even for commuting where you're clipping in and out a bit. The real negative with Looks is walking..awkward, slippy and noisy. You can buy covers of course, maybe one day i will.

I really should try something different, i'll never know if ones that much better than the other.

OilyMechanic

I've had both Look Keo's and Shimano 105 pedals. I found the Shimano cleats have lasted about 3x as long as the look cleats. The look cleats are made out of cheese and you can't walk 5 meters with them.

The shimano pedals I find are much quieter when on the bike, with no squeaking when the cleats wear down. The looks were a tad easier to clip into, but not by a great difference.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Keos for me. Lighter than Shimano for the same money. The cleats are fine if you are riding not walking with them. My current cleats have done about 5000 miles with plenty of wear left. If you are commuting and need to walk and clip in and out a lot they will wear. You might want to look at Spd's if you are walking a lot.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Thinking the Shimano SPD were designed for mountain biking and touring, where you walk more. Looks are easier on roadbikes for sure . Bigger target area , wider cleat contact , I think less hotfoot .

Ethan

Exustar :blush: (which to be fair - I have owned Shimano pedals too and the Exustar are just as good if not better than my shimano ones were)
From what I know though, both are decent enough. Shimano are longer lasting, but like you I'd rather have nice pretty pedals that have a little less longevity ^_^

OP
OP
Benthedoon

Benthedoon

Minimal walking as I'll use my ss bike for commuting most of the time so, from what everyone's said, I can buy based on looks alone - pretty pedals it is then.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I have been using the grey look ones, but i really want the white ones they would look sooooooooo nice on my bike, going to treat myself soon.

bear in mind that you won't actually be able to see the pedals while you are riding the bike - nor will anybody else for that matter. Don't let that stop you though...

Top Bottom