Shimano or Sram

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I have sram rival on my verenti, it just works, I've hardly had to touch it.

SRAM's Avid brakes are really crap. Difficult to bleed, noisy and uses DOT fluid will all it's associated problems instead of oil.

Edit: And how can I forget the that rubbish GXP crank/BB of theirs? The left bearing has the longevity of a mayfly in a snowstorm.

Edit again: My memory is really coming back now that the nightmare has been awakened. That double-tap system on the road bike where when you're on the largest sprocket at the back and think you have one more to go and tap it, it doesn't just refuse to budge like all decent systems with a good Japanese or Italian pedigree. No, it actually shifts down, the last thing you really want when you've just tried to shift up.

And, aren't they the perpretrators of Jagwire as well, wire coated with rubbish Teflon that rubs off within a week and then turns sticky?

Last edited:

Leodis

Veteran
I'm not a lover of SRAM. I bought the Whyte Stirling as their sales buff stated the way the gearing was set up all 20 gears would run with no chain rub, something that was one of the reasons why I bought the bike, it just didn't happen with EBC and thy told me SRAM say these things and can't back them up. I would be buying a Whyte Suffolk for my year round bike but the SRAM set up is putting me off. if it was 105 11s I would be riding it now.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
SRAM's Avid brakes are really crap. Difficult to bleed, noisy and uses DOT fluid will all it's associated problems instead of oil.

Edit: And how can I forget the that rubbish GXP crank/BB of theirs? The left bearing has the longevity of a mayfly in a snowstorm.

Edit again: My memory is really coming back now that the nightmare has been awakened. That double-tap system on the road bike where when you're on the largest sprocket at the back and think you have one more to go and tap it, it doesn't just refuse to budge like all decent systems with a good Japanese or Italian pedigree. No, it actually shifts down, the last thing you really want when you've just tried to shift up.

And, aren't they the perpretrators of Jagwire as well, wire coated with rubbish Teflon that rubs off within a week and then turns sticky?
That is the very reason I would never touch SRAM. It was bad enough getting used to Shimano where the lever behind the brake dropped you down a sprocket rather than onto a bigger one like I was used to after years with Campag.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Isn't the op talking about mtbs. All that said I have never had issues with Sram on my road bike. Light, positive and ergonomically pleasant. My Sram setup definitely does not down shift when you reach the highest gear and try to change up, or at least it hasn't in the last 15000 miles.
I have heard Avid brakes are a pia to service though.

Drago

Legendary Member
Avid, despite rep, have never been the nicest brakes, but servicing is straightforward enough. You want real finniky maintenance and servicing then go Hope for all your bleeding knuckle needs.

I've got Campagnolo Shimano and SRAM on my various bikes. The Campag is the best groupy for the roady, the SRAM knocks the Shimano into a cocked hat for the crosstrail (essentially an MTB drivetrain and cassette on a front sussed Hybrid) The Shimano groupset works well on the (undergoing a refurb) Crosstrail, because that doesn't do massive miles. I insisted on Avid hydro brakes and 160 mm rotors on the crosstrail, because despite having used other brakes, the Avids still feel better and are easier to set up and service IMHO.

NorvernRob

That is the very reason I would never touch SRAM. It was bad enough getting used to Shimano where the lever behind the brake dropped you down a sprocket rather than onto a bigger one like I was used to after years with Campag.

There's a false shift when you're in the biggest cog so it doesn't drop down a cog - at least there is with my Red, which I never knew until recently!

I've got 105 on a bike and Red on another, I also had Rival on a previous bike. 105 build quality is very plasticky compared even to the Rival, the shifting on both is pretty similar (I can't get the 105 perfect whereas the rival was, but maybe that's just me) but the build quality is a lot different. The Red is fantastic, apart from as mentioned above when it's fitted with those garbage Teflon coated cables!

I don't know why people shout about one make and denounce the other. It's no problem at all to switch between the two systems on different bikes as they're so similar - yes the brake levers are obviously the big difference but the shifting is the same push across.

SRAM Rival on road bike and never had any bother with it. Not had experience of Shimano equivalent though so can't compare, or for that matter get confused with different shifting methods. Is there any comparison there with driving cars with indicator on left/right side of wheel?Just different and something to adjust to?

shadow master

I've been looking at mountain bikes around £750 and one or two have Sram gears.

Is there any good reason to avoid them in this application?

For a podgy middle aged bloke like me wobbling along trails I doubt it matters which company makes the groupset.

But is maintenance straightforward?

All the shops seem to stock Shimano or Shimano compatible bits, so I don't want to buy something that won't take a 'standard' chain, cable or cassette.
Shimano not as agricultural as SRAM, particularly in the lower end stuff,also spares much more readily available from shimano.

SRAM Rival on road bike and never had any bother with it. Not had experience of Shimano equivalent though so can't compare, or for that matter get confused with different shifting methods. Is there any comparison there with driving cars with indicator on left/right side of wheel?Just different and something to adjust to?
Yes, your analogy is perfect, it is just something to get used to insofar the shifting goes. However, SRAM's two big flaws are Elixir and Juicy brakes (the latter phased out by now) and the GXP crank/BB system.
But the fact that the shifting boils down to quirks doesn't mean we don't want a passionate and rambling discussion about it. Preferably with religion-like zealot views, taking sides with the various nationalities involved and invent silly slogans. Nice examples are: Campagnolo wears in, Shimano wears out and, I'd rather walk that ride Shimano.
Me, I just remembered that sucky noise the SRAM Red cassette makes when riding. Typical of those noisy Americans.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes,
When i used to have shimano 2300 i was always trying to press the non existent thumb button a few times when i swapped to the sram bike .

Lets call my first SO Shimano and my second SRAM. Lately being giving glances to a colleague called Campag. There are days when I feel that I should have stuck with the ex. Both the ex and the present have little niggles here and there in different places. Then there is me with all my own shortcomings and insecurities. I know a fling with Campag is really tempting and might just do that.

I will probably realise after my fling or time with Campag that all 3 are wonderful. As long as its not Father Halfords doing the nuptials, I am sure I will be safe with any of them.

NorvernRob

Yes, your analogy is perfect, it is just something to get used to insofar the shifting goes. However, SRAM's two big flaws are Elixir and Juicy brakes (the latter phased out by now) and the GXP crank/BB system.
But the fact that the shifting boils down to quirks doesn't mean we don't want a passionate and rambling discussion about it. Preferably with religion-like zealot views, taking sides with the various nationalities involved and invent silly slogans. Nice examples are: Campagnolo wears in, Shimano wears out and, I'd rather walk that ride Shimano.
Me, I just remembered that sucky noise the SRAM Red cassette makes when riding. Typical of those noisy Americans.

...So you just use a Dura Ace cassette. :thumbsup: That's how mine is setup, Red groupset with DA cassette and a KMC chain. It runs quieter than my mates Ultegra Di2.

Top Bottom