Shimano parts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland

Road bicycle groupsets
  • Dura-Ace dI2 (10 speed electronic)
  • Dura-Ace (10 speed)
  • Ultegra (10 speed)
  • 105 (10 speed)
  • Tiagra (9 speed)
  • Sora (9 speed)
  • 2200 (8 speed)

Can someone run through the same order on the MTB range, I always find those more confusing.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
what you're going to use it for and how far makes a difference as well. Unless you have money to burn and are prepared to clean.maintain extensively then top end would seem out of place on an every day commuter/utility. If you're serious about racing or just wanting something nice for the weekend/Summer then top end becomes more attractive.

105 is good but the 10 speed limits you a bit if you want to alter things, whereas 9 speed intermixes with MTB rear mechs and cassettes. As did the previous incarnations of 105 and Ultegra in 9 speed. For every day use I'd plump for Tiagra, for more rarefied use then 105 or above.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
the first post didn't mention "serious".

the question is so - what is serious?

am I a serious rider if I ride my bike to work EVERY day for 40 years or am I a serious rider if I ride my bike 100 miles every weekend.

my comments were in the "general" category.

Grasen - I suspect there's been a crossover in understanding. I said serious mileage not serious cyclist.
A leisure rider who rides 15-20 weekly miles in summer, isn't going to batter his components as much as a commuter who rides 100+ rear-round. My Alivio equipped mtb was fine for local pootling, but I soon found it's shortcomings when I put it into commuting 120 miles.

MartinC

Über Member
Corrected that for you, the mid range components don't give a longer life than the top range components...

I don't there's a big gap in the way we think but top range kit is optimised for performance. Often this has a side effect of prolonged life but not always - e.g. old top range alumunium sprockets were short lived but moderen titanium ones last better than steel. Rims with thin braking surfaces dont last so long either but are lighter and more expensive.

Top Bottom