Shimano PD A520 advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
You first have to decide whether you want/need double sided.

If you go for single sided spd, I would go for the A520 over the A530 - the tread on the BG series shoes lines up with, and is snug with, the edges of the pedal. This gives a wide effective platform - with the A530 all the pressure goes through the cleat. The A530 is great for a mixed use bike where you might hop on for a quick trip with just trainers on the standard pedal side (they're on my flat bar shopper) but unless you need to do that, go for the A520.

If you go for double sided spd, there can be good reasons for this but you do lose the platform the A520 provides.

John

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I use the A530, but that is because there are time when I prefer to wear ordinary shoes, if you are riding clipless all of the time then you would be better off with A520's.

OP
OP
phil_hg_uk

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Thank you all for your advice I have ordered the A520's and the SH 56 multi release cleats.

After looking at the pictures I see what you mean about the A520 the clip looks more flush than the others so as you say a more stable platform and less likely to cause the hotspot isssue.

I like the rachet mechanism on the shoes B) and they feel very comfy indeed, mind you for £100 they should do :laugh: I spend more money on cycling clothes than real clothes.

I will let you all know how I get on once all the bits and bobs arrive, and thank you all for your help.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I posted this the other day in the Health and Fitness forum on a foot pain thread but worth repeating here:

Just an illustration of how the A520s and Specialized BG shoe tread can combine to give a wide platform with spds:

Tread of shoe firmly abuts pedal so it can't rock or flex around the cleat.
a520two.jpg

Tread follows line of pedal to give good support lengthways:

a520one.jpg

Result is that the effective pedal area is greater than that of the cleat and helps to prevent the flexing/rocking that causes hotfoot.

Even the A530, which has very narrow support lengthways, provides good support widthways with these shoes:
a530.jpg

John

OP
OP
phil_hg_uk

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
The pedals arrived today, I went for the A520's and the SH 56 Multi Release Cleats,

I have fitted them and set the tension to minmum. I have been for a couple of miles ride to try them out and the only thing I will need to get used to is going to be using them in traffic.

I am fine when I have a few seconds to clip in but i can imagine that in traffic it could be interesting, the shoes skate around on the pedals until they are clipped in so riding with one foot unclipped could be interesting I will need to work on that one.

I can imagine that this situation would be where the A530's would come into there own having the platform side, but I can see that the A520's provide and much more stable platform and I can see what you mean about the tread lining up so it is something I am willing to work on.

Does anyone have any tips for riding in traffic with these pedals.

Danny

Legendary Member
I've got A520 pedals and have been very happy with them. But I found the cleats quite stiff at first compared to the first SPD pedals I had (cheap ones from Lidl). Having said that, the few falls I had when I first got the pedals were almost entirely due to me forgetting I was clipped in rather than me finding it difficult to get my foot out of the clip.

C+ reviewed the Taho shoes recently and gave it a low score because of the alleged hot spots.

I've kinda have got used to pedalling off with mostly one foot, the other if it misses the clip just gently goes round on the pedal (I don't actually put weight on it. I then flick that pedal with my toe and clip in before putting full weight on it. Quite often If I miss first time, I just continue doing this for a few strokes until I'm away from the junction and clip in. I've found with all single sided pedals I have there a bit slippery when new but the shoe/ pedals quickly wear so there is a bit of abrasion between them when not clipped in. With a little bit of practice you'll be clipping in without thinking :smile:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
[QUOTE 1128706"]
Tried them out yesterday and today. Shoes and pedals.

Perfect fit! So cheers all.

Do feel clunky but it's all entry level stuff. Fine for my commute.

Still awkard trying to brake with legs on a fixed with clipless and stopping at the right place. Had straps before. Just experience and confidence I guess.

[/quote]

That's it, a massive switch to the darkside and we get one small post of explanation?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Sorry for the bump, I am thinking about clippless, my concern is not a "clipless moment" but more of the "what if" type of concern, what if you come off, do you stay with the bike? Last time I came off my memory of it was I quickly separated from the bike, if you are clipped in it must make it worse?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry for the bump, I am thinking about clippless, my concern is not a "clipless moment" but more of the "what if" type of concern, what if you come off, do you stay with the bike? Last time I came off my memory of it was I quickly separated from the bike, if you are clipped in it must make it worse?

Have had 3 accidents over the past 4 years. Each time I have found myself unclipped from the pedals. And my spd's are set to the tightest level.

Top Bottom