Shimano PD-M520 - service advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I have these pedals on several bikes, and at least two pairs of them are beginning to squeak.

The sales blurb speaks of cartridge bearings. It's not obvious looking at them how to open them to remove, replace or regrease the bearings.

Can anyone point me to some advice?

If they can't be servied, and if they're going to fail (or become irritating) at this rate, would anyone care to recommend a serviceable double-sided SPD pedal?

spandex

I love Dr D
At the end of the axle there is a plastic cap under that is all the bits. Knowing you, you will know what to do from there on. The caps are hard to get out but they all do come out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not the M520 - the locknut is on the axel - there is no plastic cap on the newer ones.

Seeing how the locknut is, unless you have a spanner that fits, then you may need a specific tool.

spandex

I love Dr D
That is what I was saying under the cover is the locknut. If there is no cover they are a push fit as for spanners you need a long socket set to get to the bolt.

fossyant

Under the end plate? or..........

00000802.jpg

See the lock nut near the thread for the crank......

My old M535's had a pop off cover where the 'Shimano' is on this pic. My XT's 770's have a steel locknut near the axel, remove this slide out.

spandex

I love Dr D
The axle is a push fit and the lock nut is a 90' twist.

Foss what is up? we are saying the same thing are we not!

fossyant

Yeh - I think..... I thought you were referring to a cap on t'other end - like my old M535's

Sorry - confuddled

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
spandex said:
The axle is a push fit and the lock nut is a 90' twist.

Foss what is up? we are saying the same thing are we not!

Maybe, but I'm not sure I quite understand either of you!

This may be because I'm thinking of it like a conventional cup-and-cone bearing pedal - I guess it's not. It's cartridge bearings, yes?

Spandex - are you saying that if I just heave on the axle, it will just come out of the pedal body? Leaving the bearing cartridges behind, or will they come with the axle? How does the plastic knurled bit come into it?

And finally, having dismantled it, will I be able to do anything to stop those cartridge bearings squeaking? If I must replace them, where can I get 'em from?

(If we don't get anywhere with this, Spandex, I'll bring one on Saturday and we can point at bits of it, wave our hands and waggle our fingers and I expect it will all become embarassingly clear!)

spandex

I love Dr D
not a prob mate

mickle

innit
They ain't cartilage bearings they is cartilage axles.

Buy tool.
Stick tool in vice.
Remove pedal from crank.
Stick pedal in tool.
Undo cartridge axle from pedal body.
Pump pedal body full of grease.
Screw axle assembly back in to pedal body.
Wipe off excess grease.

Or just buy new axle assemblies, they're not dear.

Life is too short to be replacing individual ball bearings in a Shi**no pedal.

Top Bottom