Shimano R451 brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'm thinking of changing the Tektro brakes on my wifes Rapide RL2 for Shimano R451s.
I can get a really good deal from H alfords ( Black Friday weekend plus British Cycling discounts) but they only list them as 'front' fitment.
Is there any difference between front and rear fitment calipers, or are they the same?

the snail

Guru
the mounting bolt is longer on the front.Ribble sell them quite cheap.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm thinking of changing the Tektro brakes on my wifes Rapide RL2 for Shimano R451s.
I can get a really good deal from H alfords ( Black Friday weekend plus British Cycling discounts) but they only list them as 'front' fitment.
Is there any difference between front and rear fitment calipers, or are they the same?
You only need to change the front brake to upgrade the performance. The rear brake is little more than an ornament.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Entirely true. Get the Shimano front and put salmon brake blocks in. It'll transform the braking. Although, I'd try decent blocks in the Tektro brakes first, as the OE ones aren't great.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've already changed the blocks in the Tektros. There was some improvement, but she's still not getting enough braking to give her confidence - hence the next step of changing the calipers. The H alfords deal works out at £18.22 per caliper - which I reckon is about as cheap as you'll get.

Top Bottom