Shimano R500's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Sirrus currently has Alex DA16's, they've not let me down so far, there's no wear indicators but the rear rim feel dished slightly and they've done 4500mls since Dec 05 and with my latest attempt at maintenance:blush:, see;I think its about time to get new wheels. I currently use the Sirrus for winter club runs and light fast day touring and I'm considering Mavic Askiums however, whilst browsing I came across Shimano R500's and I quite like the look of them. Before I head to the lbs, I wanted to find out what's peoples experiences of Shimano or other off the shelf wheels are?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ribble are doing the next model up at an even lower price than that -

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=WHEELS - FACTORY&Section=WHFR&GenCode=SHIMWHFR0250

Shimano wheels are supposed to be pretty bom-proof.

Goggle around and you'll find people saying how good or conversely how awful R500's and R550's are (R560 is a newer version of R550, R561 newer again)

Basically they have 'Shimano' written on them so some people will want to rubbish them on principle, but of those who've used them some will have had genuine problems and others will think they're great.

I've had my R550's for a couple of years and they've been fine, a huge improvement on the Alex DA16 that came as OE on my Allez (after a while those started snapping spokes every 5 minutes) - the R550's feel a huge amount lighter and alive, have gone a little out of true but otherwise been maintenance-free.

R500's are cheaper, heavier, have more spokes and they are round rather than aero spokes (but will be easier to true as a result).

Ribble have R500 @ £50, R550 at £70 - I think it's worth the extra

I'd not recommend either as heavyweight touring wheels, but that's not what you want them for.

Does 'unjam' simply mean 'remove', or is it broken ?

If it just means swap from old wheels to new, do you have the necessary tools ? (cassette lockring tool and chain whip)
- have a look on e.g. Park Tools website and see how it's done

(maybe if you'd have taken your old rear into the shop when you bought the new wheels, you could have sweet-talked them into doing it for you for nothing...)

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Thanks, Ive got the right tools but its a little tight the lbs suggest if I cant get it off take it to them but I want to avoid that.:biggrin:

Edit: got it off thanks, should I give the new hub a quick lube (finish line teflon grease or FLine cross country) before I put the cassette on?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
bit late now, but...

the r500's are really noodley. flexy as a flexy thing. and they feel noticeably heavy. roll fine, which is what you really want from a wheel, but they flex too much.

gbb

Legendary Member
Steve Austin said:
bit late now, but...

the r500's are really noodley. flexy as a flexy thing. and they feel noticeably heavy. roll fine, which is what you really want from a wheel, but they flex too much.

Steve..Is that flex noticeable or a problem with ordinary riding, or when cornering...or just if you are really pushing along ?

I have a set to put on my rebuild..

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I might be being picky, but the problem for me is the amount they vibrate on normal riding. 'better' wheels absorb the road better, but the r500's seem to amplify every deformity on the road. Stiffer wheelsets don't do this
They only really noticeably flex going uphill under pressure.

but they are really cheap, and if you want a really cheap set of wheels to use over winter or to commute on, then thats what you will get.

I would rather spend more in future and get some 105 on open pro's tbh

yenrod

gbb said:
Thanks for that Steve...it'll be interesting to see what theyre like when i use them.

How did you find these as I've just got some as replacements for bad warranty replacements for some bad originals on the bike I got off the peg.

I done a 50mler on them and they seemed ok - time will tell but i can see the weight compared to mavic opensports which ive got on tiagras (bad build gonna be rebuilt on some old but new omega V's) and the flex too ! - though I only had that on the back. The front radial vibrates at times - they hold the road well, corner at speed ok not too much flex if at all - its just in some circumstances it shows but I only noticed it once.

A good wheel for the flat with them being aero!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I upgraded the original wheels on my Allez to R500s and although they are somewhat better they aren't very much better IMO. I've got another bike with CXP33s on Ultegra hubs- they are much nicer, I'll probably stick those on the Allez soon.

gbb

Legendary Member
I think we touched on these wheels (R500s)a few weeks ago...but here goes.

They do flex...most noticeably when leaning through corners. The computer magnets set about 1 or 2 mm from its sender, and when i lean the bike at any appreciable speed, the magnet lightly touches the sender....there's your flex and that's the only time i notice it.

Otherwise, they run free, cant say i've noticed any vibration. For cheap commuting wheels, they're ok.
Are they the best for the same money....cant say, but theyre ok.

Bugger to get Conti Ultra Sports on...may be the wheels, may be the tyres.

Top Bottom