Shimano rotor center lock rings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howyadoinoutthere

I am upgrading the stock disk brake wheels on my road bike. The existing stock wheels have a shimano rotor with a lockring that uses a cassette tool to take on or off. The new wheels are Shimano RS770 C30 and the Shimano website says to use the external spline lockring tool, the one where you can instead use a BB tool to fit/remove the rotor.
I was going to move the existing rotors and fit them to the new wheels and later buy new rotors when available. Are the two types of shimano center lockrings interchangeable? In other words, can I swap the old rotors to the new wheels and, if I replace the rotors, can I only fit rotors with the external spline?
Many thanks in advance.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If one uses a cassette tool and the other uses a BB tool ( Hollowtech?) sounds like they won't be interchangeable so you'll need new rotors.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I think the centrelock system uses the same splined mounting to mount to the wheel but there are two types of lockrings, one with an external spline which uses the BB tool and one with an internal spline which uses a cassette tool.
I've got a couple of sets of discs that I swap between two sets of wheels and I use both sets of lockrings without any problem, so think you should be OK.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Thanks to everyone who replied. Encouraged by 'wonderloaf', I fitted the old rotors (cassette tool lockring) to the new wheels without any problem so they are interchangeable (for my set up).
On the two different centerlock wheelsets I have, they both fit for both types. But on one set there's only just enough clearance internally for the cassette tool version to work.

Top Bottom