Shimano RS61 and special nipples

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
Last year I bought a road bike with Shimano RS61 wheels, and after a small incident today the front wheel needs truing, probably by a minor turn on one spoke only. I now discover that this wheel has spokes with special, oversize hexagonal nipples
upload_2017-8-26_21-38-8.png

which don't fit the generic nipple wrench I have that has worked on every nipple on every other wheel I've ever had.
Looks like I need to buy one of these
upload_2017-8-26_21-41-17.png

My question : has anyone found a way of adjusting these spokes without buying the special tool?
Otherwise this is just a rant about Shimano going their own sweet way when there are perfectly good standards around that everyone else uses and which make life simpler for everyone.

That tool is made from aluminium and easily strips. Get a ParkTool wrench made from steel, to fit those spokes. Yes, it is a proprietary standard buy you should have asked that question before you drooled over that bike last year.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
That tool is made from aluminium and easily strips. Get a ParkTool wrench made from steel, to fit those spokes. Yes, it is a proprietary standard buy you should have asked that question before you drooled over that bike last year.
Good answer, but, well, the nipples on the spokes were some way down on my checklist of features for a new bike:rolleyes:

Top Bottom