shimano sora flight deck triple shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
ST-3300-7

Attachments

• IMG_20200829_155017.jpg
    IMG_20200829_155017.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
johnrussellcox
No - as I said in a previous post, Sora is now 9 speed, and you definitely haven't got that.

You have 8 sprockets on the cassette in the image you shared (I presume from the bike in question).
How many clicks on your RH shifter please?
OK, let's pretend I don't know a lot about bikes (yet!) . . . I'm not sure how to count the clicks. While riding the bike, start out with the chain on the largest rear gear and count the clicks as the chain moves down to the smallest (lowest) gear? Or? Since there's 8 gears on the rear that should be 7 clicks right? Another thing that's confusing me; since my Cannondale has 8 rear gears do I refer to it as an 8 speed bike? What about the front 3 gears? Thank you for indulging me. :-)

C R

Guru
OK, let's pretend I don't know a lot about bikes (yet!) . . . I'm not sure how to count the clicks. While riding the bike, start out with the chain on the largest rear gear and count the clicks as the chain moves down to the smallest (lowest) gear? Or? Since there's 8 gears on the rear that should be 7 clicks right? Another thing that's confusing me; since my Cannondale has 8 rear gears do I refer to it as an 8 speed bike? What about the front 3 gears? Thank you for indulging me. :-)
You are correct about how to count the clicks, move all the way to one end and then count how many clicks to the other end, as you say, there should be seven clicks in an eight speed shifter.

Regarding how many years you have, there are a couple of different ways, you could say that you have 24 gears, or that you have a 3x8 system, three chainrings and eight sprockets. The second is slightly more accurate, as it is likely that more than one combination gives roughly the same gear, so you probably have fewer than 24 distinct gears.

Ajax Bay

Guru
That's confirmed it's an 8 speed drivetrain (STI and cassette). The LH STI is broken and merits replacing (you need a 'triple). The RH STI is fine, so only replace it if you have a 'must match' issue.
For a set you need Shimano Claris (8 speed) and you'll likely get them second hand and hardly used (surplus after an 'upgrade').
You can pay £90 for them new. ST-2303 have the thumb levers for shifting down. ST-2400 have the inner and brake lever style.
Just replacing the LH STI you can find old (triple) Sora or old (triple) Tiagra: they all shift the triple front derailleur the same (with clicks for trim) - just make sure the one you find is 'triple capable': some aren't.

OP
OP
johnrussellcox
That's confirmed it's an 8 speed drivetrain (STI and cassette). The LH STI is broken and merits replacing (you need a 'triple). The RH STI is fine, so only replace it if you have a 'must match' issue.
For a set you need Shimano Claris (8 speed) and you'll likely get them second hand and hardly used (surplus after an 'upgrade').
You can pay £90 for them new. ST-2303 have the thumb levers for shifting down. ST-2400 have the inner and brake lever style.
Just replacing the LH STI you can find old (triple) Sora or old (triple) Tiagra: they all shift the triple front derailleur the same (with clicks for trim) - just make sure the one you find is 'triple capable': some aren't.
Thank you!

Top Bottom