Shimano Sora or Campagnolo Xenon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
I'm looking at buying a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 bike. What is the difference between the 2 gear shifters....? Is one better than the other does anyone know please

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
They're both bottom of the range, but don't let that worry you. Xenon isn't made any more, but there'll be no problem getting hold of Campag 10 speed stuff for quite some time.
As for which is better - that's down to personal prejudice preference. TBH they'll both work fine.

In spite of my deep loathing of everything Shi**no does I must concede that they are indeed comparable groupsets.

Sora however is let down by the poor ergonomics of its shifter buttons.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Loth though I am to differ with the esteemed and wise Mickle, I never had a problem with Sora shifters. The only advice I could offer is to try them both and see which you prefer.

Chrisc

Guru
I have the xenon via nirone. Shifts beatifully. Far better than Sora, absolutely no contest!! No problem with the hoods, perfectly comfy for me. As they said, it's a case of suiting yourself really.
Bike shop said the xenon is as good as shimano tiagra and I can't argue with them having put a 1000 miles in on it.

BUT it's an Italian bike, has to be campag...:smile:

whitewall3.jpg

Anyway, here it is..I'll be riding it home before long :smile:

I've never had Xenon but I've Sora on one bike I find it uncomfortable between the thumb and fore finger. Shifting is also a pain with sora, I can only shift the thumb trigger when I'm on the hoods (ie not on the drops), with my campy (Veloce) levers I can do it on either. I would like to do a quick feel of the bars first and if Xenon was similar to veloce I'd go with it.

Will1985

Über Member
Ergonomically, all v2 Campag shifters are identical, although the button on Xenon is slightly smaller I think.

There is only one way to go with a Bianchi, and Chrisc has said it.

montage

God Almighty
Campag, its a Biachi

beancounter

Chap at work has just bought the Via Nirone and very pretty it looks, too.

He went for the 105 though, ironic as it sits in the office next to my Veloce equipped Lemond...

bc

Top Bottom