Shimano spacer query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jessand

Veteran
Hi All
Have searched this forum and others but get varying views on which spacer is required for HG500 10 speed cassette on 105 11 speed hub. Some say 1.85 spacer, others say 1.85 + 1mm spacer.

Currently using HG500 on 8/9/10 speed shimano hub which requires a 1mm spacer as the 10 speed cassette is slightly narrower than a 9 speed.

Shimano 11 speed road hub is now slightly longer than Shimano MTB hub so we can longer work on the basis that they are interchangeable regarding cassette fitting - so that's confusing.

The argument is that you can use 9 speed cassette on 11 speed hub with 1.85 spacer but need the extra 1mm spacer for 10 speed cassette.

Anyone have the definitive answer pleeeeeease?

Many thanks

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hopefully I have the definitive answer as I am running HG500 10spd cassettes on an 11spd 105 hub.... see below posted recently after a loose cassette incident.

Recently, after a good clean and while scrubbing some of the oily gunk off the cassette I spotted there was a lot of play in the sprockets and the cluster was moving around a lot in relation to the smaller individual cogs.

Turns out the lockring was tight, in fact bottomed out, so having learned a lot about cassette spacing during a recent wheel building drama I assumed I must be missing the required spacer for running a 10spd cassette on an 11spd hub. I was wrong and the spacer was there, I had remembered to swap it over from the original wheels that came with the bike. A quick measure up revealed a 1.5mm spacer where there should be a 1.85mm which is apparently the spec for Shimano hubs. Now fitted with a 2.5mm spacer (we all have a selection, don't we? :whistle:) which compensates for the wear that has occurred with the fretting. Come to think about it, the cassette was a bit on the loose side last time it was replaced, I just assumed I hadn't tightened it enough.

The 1.5mm spacer was 'just' enough to take up the slack but soon allowed movement once things settled down and got a bit more used.

1.85 or 2.5 is the required spacer.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Q: What spacers required for 10 speed Shimano cassette on 105 (Shimano road) 11 speed hub?
A: 1.85mm spacer plus 1mm spacer.
Lots of detail here:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Cassette_Spacers_2013_3978.html
1683185657168.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom