Shimano STI compatible Hydraulic rim brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No - its for my new spec tarmac sl4 - current calipers 105's

Have you got real world feedback on the trps - in other words have you used them???

I've ridden a bike fitted with them. There is nothing special about their performance. You are paying for the weight saving - which is marginal anyway. 105s are good calipers - no need to change them. I'm all for spending money on stuff, but I hate to see it being wasted....

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Well i havent used trps and i have used 105's and personally i think its time to try something else as i dont find 105's that good a caliper

If i did, i wouldnt be looking for something else.

So try new pads first, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with 105 calipers. I know a couple of riders that got their 1st cat licences while riding full 105-equipped bikes, so if it's good enough for them....

In fact, it sounds like a pointless discussion, because you will probably blow a wad on the TRPs anyway, regardless. And then you will convince youself they are better, because the alternative would be to admit that you just wasted £200. Anyway, that's me done....

OP
OP
J

jowwy

i'll spend money on a product that suits my needs better over another.

If someone says they have used something else and found them just as effective as trps for less money, then i'll put them on my list.

But your argument isnt effecting my current mindset. I'm also hoping that cat 1 riders have the better biking ability than myself and therefore dont required better braking, as they prob dont use their brakes as much as a lower levelled skilled rider.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
While I hope that I'm less belligerent than Dusty Bin, I'd agree with him on two counts:-
1) There is a big difference between the hydraulics that you originally asked about and the mechanical ones that you're currently considering.
2) It's got to be worth trying alternative pads before you spend £hundreds on something similar in operation to what you already have.

FWIW, my GF's bike has 105 calipers and, as far as I can tell, they're as good as most rim brakes can be.

All my bikes have mechanical discs ................

OP
OP
J

jowwy

While I hope that I'm less belligerent than Dusty Bin, I'd agree with him on two counts:-
1) There is a big difference between the hydraulics that you originally asked about and the mechanical ones that you're currently considering.
2) It's got to be worth trying alternative pads before you spend £hundreds on something similar in operation to what you already have.

FWIW, my GF's bike has 105 calipers and, as far as I can tell, they're as good as most rim brakes can be.

All my bikes have mechanical discs ................

what i asked in the original post - was if there was any hydraulic rim brakes available? has anybody used them? and what feedback did they have on them?

then on speaking to mr haematocrit he gave me his advice on an alternative option to the hydraulics i was asking about. Now if anybody else has any other options cheaper than the TRP's recommended, i am willing to hear the options and the feedback given.

i have 105's on both my bikes and was looking for an alternative as i find them not the best on carbon rims - even with a change to swisstop pads.

we are all different in what we think is good/bad and will all have different reasons for wanting to change something.

I doubt if anyone will be able to fathom what your issue is with 105s - given that there is nothing actually wrong with them. The rim material and the mechanical function of the caliper are completely unrelated anyway - that job is down to the pads only.

So, on that basis - and given that we are 'all different' - it will be practically impossible for anyone to suggest anything useful to you.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Unless I had a wad of cash I wouldn't upgrade the 105's blow the budget on using swisstop pads over the life of the bike won't take long I got through a set in a 8 riding days! They are nice though.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I doubt if anyone will be able to fathom what your issue is with 105s - given that there is nothing actually wrong with them. The rim material and the mechanical function of the caliper are completely unrelated anyway - that job is down to the pads only.

So, on that basis - and given that we are 'all different' - it will be practically impossible for anyone to suggest anything useful to you.
that would mean everybody would be running 105 calipers in that case - buy hey guess what THEY ARE NOT

now as i have asked you nicely before, i am going to ask you nicely for one last time - STAY OUT OF MY THREADS

that would mean everybody would be running 105 calipers in that case - buy hey guess what THEY ARE NOT

No, the function of the caliper is entirely nominal. More expensive calipers exist that are lighter and are made of more exotic materials. Cheaper calipers exist which are made of heavier and less exotic materials. The force a caliper can exert on a rim is mostly defined by the leverage ratio of the caliper itself and the pull ratio of the brake lever - and within certain limits, pretty much every caliper on the market does the same, or similar job as the next one. Beyond that, the actual effectiveness of the brake itself is down to the pad material. But you don't want to know that.

Anyway, I'll leave you to it now, because I'm clearly not telling you anything that you want to hear. I'm sure someone else will be along in a minute to tell you that buying the TRPs is a fantastic idea - and that you should definitely do it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
So try new pads first, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with 105 calipers. I know a couple of riders that got their 1st cat licences while riding full 105-equipped bikes, so if it's good enough for them....

In fact, it sounds like a pointless discussion, because you will probably blow a wad on the TRPs anyway, regardless. And then you will convince youself they are better, because the alternative would be to admit that you just wasted £200. Anyway, that's me done....

105 are good enough, other brakes are better. The reason why, I do not know (it could be the lever they were paired with), but I have had the same wheels, with the same brake pads (as in the exact same pads, not the same type), between 2 different types of brakes and find SRAM Red brakes are MUCH better than 105.

I still use 105 on my TT bike. They are good brakes, but you can get better, if you want to spend the money. The SRAM are lighter and look better too :tongue:

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Not all brakes are the same, but the differences don't actually amount to very much. The £20 Miche calipers on my winter bike are not significantly different in performance to the £100 SRAM Force calipers on my race bike - and I'm using the same pads on both...
so if theres no significant difference why did you buy £100 sram force calipers - why didn't you just get £20 miche ones

but like i said - leave my thread, as right now i'm not in the mood for your nonsense and i don't want to get a thread ban for something i might say in anger.

Top Bottom