Shimano STX RC gear change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
nigelb said:
Sorry, another silly question.

What's the difference between brake and gear cables?

I was looking to replace the lot (inners and outers), someone has suggested teflon outers (lower maintenance?), any thoughts?

Nige

I believe a different thickness but not sure, I'd go along to your LBS and pay them to set it up for you. Take the opportunity for them to show you how at the same time. I did my new shifters/brake levers with the mechanic yesterday. Re-used most of the gear outers, needed new brake cables, inner and outer. Whole lot cost me £16.99 including the labour and training provided.

Another ten times and I might be confident enough to try indexing gears on my own:biggrin:

OP
OP
N

nigelb

Rather delayed postscript .....

I went for these http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2289&cPath=236

Look really nice in the box, and fine on the bike too.

Replacing the gear side was surprisingly easy. I figured that most of the adjustments were already done on the gears (as they worked before), just needed to get the length of the cable right. So, fitted replacement inner (and new outers too), and set it so it was selecting top and bottom gears fine, with plenty of adjustment still available to cope with cable stretch as things settle down. Much the same deal with the brakes (didn't replace the inners/outers, they'd been done a few months back), just sorted the length, job done.

Cycled in this morning (first time since the snow!), need to tweak the brakes - front is fierce and back is soft! - but the gearchange was fine.

The only issue I'm having with these selectors is seeing the numbers to tell which gear I'm in - they've been placed so they're on the outside of the handlebar, and by the time I adjust the angle so I can handle brake and up/down changes comfortably, I can't actually see the numbers at all!
Thought about swapping sides with them, but the numbers would then be upside down.

Do people ever look to see what gear they're in on the selector, or look at the chain, or "just know"?

Nige

Alf

Guru
Hi Nige

Glad you sorted the problem. The link didn't seem to work so I was wondering if it was just the gear shifters you changed after all.

I am mystified why you can't see the position display properly. In my experience, it seems to point in the right direction when the levers are adjusted to a convenient angle. If you posted a picture of your new set up it might make it clearer.

I do tend to look directly at the cassette to see which gear I am in but it depends on which bike I am on. On the tandem it is too far away so I use the display and on my recumbents, I would have to be a contortionist to look at the cassette so it is either the display or the lever position.

Alf

OP
OP
N

nigelb

Hi Alf

Link duly corrected (oops), was the one suggested above, gear and brakes all in one.

Looking at the rear shifter, the display comes out to the right of the handlebars.
stef50-8.jpg

So, if you have the brake handle pointing up,higher than the handlebars, its fine, however I tend to have mine pointing down (more comfortable position) which means the display is rotated, and actually facing away from me!

Should say, its on a mountain bike, but I've put hibred handlebars on, again for position comfort (I'm after exercise commuting most days, not looking for ultimate speed or power).

Cheers

Nige

Alf

Guru
8-speed STI units - they should work very well. I think that seeing the numbers depends on the angle you have the brake levers at. I just went to look at my son's bike which has the same shifter units as you. He has the brake levers angled slightly downwards and the number display is clearly visible. If the levers were angled downwards very steeply then the number display would point up in the air and be difficult to see unless you were directly above the bars. Perhaps you just have to experiment with the angle of brake levers you find comfortable.

Alf

OP
OP
N

nigelb

Yup, I have experiemented to find a comfortable angle, then found I can't see the display at all!

So, I compromised, angled the brake handles up more than I wanted, so I can just see the displays, but I think I'll angle them down again - being able to change gears and operate the brakes effectively is much more important than seeing the numbers!

I do have a relatively laid back cycling position, certainly I'm not hunched forward, more like

upm.jpg

than

wolfson96.jpg

(and considerably less easy on the eye than either!)

I guess the display is in the right position for standard mountain bike handlebars and riding position.

Eventually, when I've sorted out exactly what riding position suits me, size etc, I'll prob end up buying a decent bike - don't see much point while I'm getting used to cycling at all, without a clue of what will suit long term.

Nige

Top Bottom