Shimano STX RC gear change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nigelb

Hi

I've an 8 gear setup (on a dawes Tamarak) and it feels like the selector on the handlebars is dying.

I can't find them for sale new, any ideas what I should replace it (and the 3 gear one) with?

Was going to replace all the cables at the same time, get it nsorted properly.

Nige

PpPete

Legendary Member
Change the cables first, see how it feels.
Shifters usually pretty reliable.

OP
OP
N

nigelb

This one has been stiff since I got the bike (second hand, 9 months ago) and I've done a few hundred miles since then.

Two evenings ago, I felt something give, now the change up lever wobbles sideways, the whole thing is moving much more easily, and I've a feeling that something has broken.

So, plan was to take it off, replace cables, strip/clean the changer, but I'm expecting to need bits at the very least. Thing is when I find a bit of time to do it I'll have newspapers all over the sittingroom carpet, bits everywhere etc, and I would really like to at least stand a chance of fixing and re-assembling everything, so I can get back on the road.

I guess I can't put a 9 gear shifter on it?

Nige

Nige

OP
OP
N

nigelb

Ah, interesting - won't it all get upset when I try to shift from 8 to 9?

I kind of assumed you set it for the top and bottom gears, and then it steps between them.

Presumably the steps between 9 gears are smaller than between 8, so I'd thought it wouldn't work at all?

Perhaps I also need pointers to decent reading material ...

Nige

It used to be possible to buy just the shifter pod. That's the best option if you can find one.

Nine speed shifters will not drive an eight speed cassette but forget about gear compatibility for a minute. As STX RC it's highly likely that they are STI (Shi**no Totally Incompatible Integration) which means the brake and gear levers are on one handlebar clamp. Which means you have to replace whole lot, not just the shifter. STX RC integrated shifters are cantilever compatible, ie not compatible with modern linear-pull ('V') brakes. Cantilever brake levers will not drive linear-pull brakes. Since Shi**no hasn't made a cantilever compatible STI unit since 1996 you'll be buying linear-pull compatible units so if you go down this route you'll need to replace your brakes with Vs.

The option of fitting 9 speed shifters is a good one if you just happen to also be in the market for a new cassette and chain. And chainrings. But again you'll also need new brakes. Time for a new bike?

If you cannot find eight speed pods the least worst option in my view is to take a hacksaw to the brackets which attach the pods to the brake lever body, file it tidy and fit a regular pair of eight speed shifters.

OP
OP
N

nigelb

These say Shimano on them, and the gear and brake controls are seperate - ie 4 clamps onto the handlebars.

Brake handles work a treat, don't particularly want to change them, but will do if I have to.

Don't really want to look at the cost of a new bike for the sake of a gear lever??

I'm now really confused!

Nige

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
well the spec I find for the Tamarak has V-brakes:-

Style:Gents 26" Front suspension MTB Wheel size:26" Frame size(s):22" (56cm) Min. inside leg:32" (81cm) Colour:Brushed aluminium & navy 2 tone Frame:Suspension adjusted alloy 7005-T6
with rear disc mounts Forks:RST Capa T4 adjustable suspension
with 76mm travel & disc mounts Gears:24 Gears rear:Shimano Acera Gears front:Shimano Acera Gear shifters:Shimano 24 speed E.Z.fire Chainset:Truvativ X-flow alloy cranks with 22/32/42 chainrings Bottom bracket:Sealed cartridge Freewheel:Shimano 8 speed cassette Headset:Cane Creek A-head system with seals Stem:Forged A-head Handlebars:Lo-rise Brake front:Tektro forged alloy V type Brake rear:Tektro forged alloy V type Brake levers:Shimano alloy-adjustable Rims:Rigida double wall Sphinx alloy Hub front:Alloy, quick release Hub rear:Alloy, quick release Spokes:Stainless Tyres:WTB Motoraptor 26x2.1 Saddle:Dawes MTB Seatpost:Alloy micro-adjust with alloy seat clamp Pedals:FPD plastic platform

OP
OP
N

nigelb

Ok looks to me like there's more than one Tamarak by Dawes (or mine has had non-standard kit fitted).

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/team-triplet/TTimages/2004/P5166377.jpg
looks just like mine.

The gears and the brakes are held on by their own fixings.

So, sounds like I need a lot more info on what I actually have, how do I find out? Somehow, I think this Saturday will be spent cleaning and photographing, rather than fitting replacements!

Btw, I'm using this bike to commute, I trundle along quite happily. I'm not looking for ultimate performance (a road bike sits at home unused, as the ride on the rough roads round here is much much better on the Tamarak, and I need something with a pannier and mudguards).

To date, a local shop has done the work, but as it looks like I'm going to be a long term commuter, its perhaps time to start regular maintenance myself.
(it also frustrates me to pay to have something done, then find its not quite right any more after a couple of weeks, want to be able to tweak things myself, when it needs doing, not when I can find time to get to the shop)

Nige

A better piccie here :-

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/hilarystone/3t-Campy-seat-STX-STI.jpg

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Nige, the combined brake and shifter pod on the link should work fine, as long as your bike has v-brakes.

Maybe take a picture of the bike in detail and we can verify for you

OP
OP
N

nigelb

Sorry, another silly question.

What's the difference between brake and gear cables?

I was looking to replace the lot (inners and outers), someone has suggested teflon outers (lower maintenance?), any thoughts?

Nige

Top Bottom