Shimano Style BB removal tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
Hi all,

I know i can get the above from ebay, but they all look too short, as in will not fit over the bb axle? is there something specific or am i just being stupid.

PS anyone in Ashford, Kent have one i can borrow :smile:

Hawk

Veteran
It doesn't need to go all the way in. If it is in a few millimetres then it can grip the splines in the bottom bracket and then you can turn it to unscrew it. Advance warning - reverse thread on the non-drive side (clockwise to loosen)

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If you are talking about ones like pics below, the short one (on the left) is the one to go for - it should clear the axle.

Compared to the one on the right it has two advantages. First the action applied is much closer to the reaction (at the splines) so force is applied more evenly because there is less "bending" but more importantly the one on the right relies on a large hex key or similar which precludes the use of e.g. a fine thread M8 bolt (which could be the crank bolt if you are lucky) to lock the tool onto a square tapered BB spindle to assure engagement - which imho, is essential. Trust me you don't want the tool to slip when you give it some welly.

cNe2mA7cvRr1xxuHcjcEEBLKbCSqTcSc82tuKFJsKvRXVmbekD2HwFyMZ-bxHFk6efw2W3VHLzbdSFNlENSUGzzdC0XPp4WdUgts9vJfJcO4t051lzfVG1l4vP5sPvHe1NRZOqhs4psWGwTTBMYQDBC4nwj79F16uHkdDOHgW9GG7YIZLEpMUjciDThfilyMjQo8CZhrd6bTHzjQQIqXmpD2usBCkPPwdDBDUokJK6M
16tV_ZLmV5XczmjM4QCtF9xQYZ6vCu-w3ZsR-tRjLr_7ckLgBd-zse8k-KnmnET2Ia9HwHix5RTdILxiWgee9OYNOkmvavYaDiYVWMc4Rjm0gYj5D8t7pUK-uTkwoFJEvLR5oJnHx8vEp_D2UaLOrvQ83cM2F9k

What cranks did you get Ryan - didn't you get some external BB ones?

If you are extracting the current BB I'd recommend getting the LBS have a look as they can be tricky if they have been on the bike for some time and they have the correct tools..

OP
OP
RyanW

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
Hi Pete, I got some FSA omega ones, came with a square taper bb. Seemed to get good ish reviews the campag sets were looking at 50ish and got this for £14 or so

Old bb is already out, it's getting the new one in which is why I need the tool

Top Bottom