Shimano Synchroshift know best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daninplymouth

Hi, I have my DI2 set up on synchro shift and now have my gears showing on my computer, it’s all set up with my 34/50 11-30 gears. Just wanted to double check if I should leave it as it is or can you adjust the gears it uses? Or whether to just go back to manual mode. I always thought not to use the top 2 and bottom 2 gears when on the large and small ring. However shimano will allow me to big ring and use the 2nd gear of the cassette, and when on the small chainring it doesn’t allow use of the bottom 4gears on the cassette. Sometimes it’s a pain as rather than change up to the big ring it’d be easier to just go down 1or2cogs on the rear before hitting a hill, rather than up and down at the front which takes more juice from the battery. Can you see any issues using more of the cassette on the small ring?

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Synchro shift is designed to even out the ratio jumps hence why it decides to shift the front ring before using additional gears on the rear. I have just started using Semi Synchro shift and haven't got any complaints so far.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
This sounds useful, at first I thought it would annoy me as it is my established habit to fire 1-2 clicks on the RD lever after shifting the chainring. Just enabled full synchro mode and will try it out in the next couple of days.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Synchro shift is designed to even out the ratio jumps hence why it decides to shift the front ring before using additional gears on the rear. I have just started using Semi Synchro shift and haven't got any complaints so far.

I use semi-synchro - I like it

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

I know why it does what it does just wondered if it could be adjusted at all. Just a bit annoying if you get a little dip before a hill so change up a tooth on the back but the system overrides this to the big ring then about 15seconds later i have to drop it back down when hitting the hill

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Also remember the shift ramps and pins on the large chainring may try and shift up the chain if you start using the lowest 4 sprockets on the little ring. Happens with the manual stuff.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Did my first ride this morning with SS enabled in full fat mode, I like it! Will just leave it on for a while and see how I go but first impressions were that it worked flawlessly and as expected.

Top Bottom