Shimano tiagra 9 speed triple chainrings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TAV

Guru
Hi I bought a bike the other day a dawes audax anyway it turned up most of the stuff on there was gone passed its sell buy date. I should have asked more questions what I need to know can I get chainrings for the chainset or should I just use it until its jumping all over the place then buy a used triple like the ones on ebay say a 105 or ultegra There's no marking on the chainrings to say what it is.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Here's the same bike.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221023-182427_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20221023-182427_WhatsApp.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20221023-182427_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20221023-182427_WhatsApp.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 12

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I’m not disagreeing with Colins idea but you will have to add cost of a bottom bracket as well .
So possibly just replacement rings from Spa
edit my Tiagra 9 speed double is not square taper .
🤔 But if you’re existing B/B needs replacing . Maybe more cost effective to replace chain set and bottom bracket .

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Why if it spins smoothly?
Spins smoothly and no side to side play you'll be fine. Square taper I'm guessing?
If you want to replace it with the more modern Shimano Hollowtech it's a straight swap and the crankset should include the BB which just screws in.
Square taper chainset will be cheaper.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Here's the same bike.

Thread necromancy (coming here after the OP's Q about 'racing bikes for audaxs (sic)'.
Thank you for featuring my Dawes Giro Audax, and our hedge! I took this photo immediately on return from an end-to-end. The bike and I have since managed KSW600, Mille Pennines, LEL, WH1000, PBP, five SRs and down to the Med and back (ride/train).
I have stopped using the rack and bag and prefer a smaller saddle bag plus a frame bag (for overnights or rides >300km).
Its Tiagra 9sp triple crankset is still giving excellent service though I've replaced all three rings and the UN-55 BB a couple of time (about 20,000k each BB).
1709546243467.png

Top Bottom