Shimano Tiagra rear brake caliper: Brakes apply OK, but won't release...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You probably won't need to dismantle it. Check the calliper moves OK, check the cable, then drown it in GT85 (pads removed) and clean it up.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have a pair of tiagra brakes that the lever that you move to open the brake up doesnt do anything anymore .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think mine's getting like that - the amount of movement is negligible.

Needs a good clean then. I'm running 35 year old Shimano brakes that still work fine - just a case of regular cleaning and some lube. I've always centred mine, including dual pivots, by using a cone spanner, rather than the adjuster screw. It's more reliable.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Needs a good clean then. I'm running 35 year old Shimano brakes that still work fine - just a case of regular cleaning and some lube. I've always centred mine, including dual pivots, by using a cone spanner, rather than the adjuster screw. It's more reliable.

im on about the lever that opens the brake to allow the wheel out, the calipers are super clean and lubed but the lever doesnt do anything at all .

Roadrat77

One block was more hard on the rim than the other.
As for the caliper, with some finger pressure it will swivel a bit to allow me to even out the gap between the pads/rim.
Does the fact that it will swivel a bit, mean that it needs tightening more? I tightened the hex bolt round the back last night, but the caliper will move when you put manual pressure on it.

There is a small screw on the right of the brake assembly at the top that will allow you to make incremental adjustments to the pad centering in relation to the rim (keep in mind it moves BOTH pads in the same direction so one will towards the rim and the other further away). I do find that loosening the main bolt to reposition the whole assembly almost inevitably moves the whole assembly to the direction of tighten when you fully tighten it. I tend to make an allowance for it when positioning it and then make the final adjustment with the screw I mentioned earlier.

The metal spring that operates the arms might just need bending a bit so that it takes up the slack and actually operates both arms and not just one.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

UPDATE: Problem sorted.
This hex bolt (circled blue) was way too tight. I slackened it off a tad and now brake operates as it should.
Cheers all.
p.s. the replacement brake shoes are Shimano-branded and a lot more responsive than the BBB ones I had before.

Capture.PNG

Top Bottom