Shimano Total Integration ST-M020 7 Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mordenmarauder

Does anyone have a discarded Shimano Total Integation ST-M020 7 speed shifter lurking around the workshop? I've bought a Dawes Backstreet, a '90s classic build, and the shifter is broken. I rather want to keep with the original equipment. I stripped the shifter down and was trying to remove all the caked-up crud and then ping!, bits went flying. In the process of putting it back together, I've snapped a tag off of a spacer. There are a few on Ebay coming from the States at silly prices but all I want is this spacer bit so any old knackered one would probably yield up one.
Here's hoping.... I'll pay a few £££ for one if it has all parts intact and can collect in the London area

iluvmybike

Über Member
Can you put a photo of it on here - I do have some old 7 speed stis but there are lots of different versions - and what type of brake - is it a cantilever type

OP
OP
M

Mordenmarauder

iluvmybike -thanks for the interest. Here are the photos :

20190401_141417.jpg 20190401_141320.jpg 20190401_141603.jpg

First one shows the 7-speed shifter in bits, 2nd. is the 3-speed chainwheel shifter on the left-hand bar from the rider's view and the 3rd. shows the 3-speed from the front. The associated brakes are Shimano 200GS cantilever. You say there are many similiar versions so I guess a similiar mechanism will fit inside the housing I have? If so, I could cannibalise one to get the bit I need to insert in my existing one.
It is a challenge to get the original working but I need to get the bike on the road soon so might just cut to the chase and get a new 7-speed shifter and double the value of the bike!

I'll look forward to your reply

Mordenmarauder

iluvmybike

Über Member
The problem with getting new is that the newer ones are often for v-brake and won't work at all well with a canti due to different pull ratios on the cable. There are lots of different 7 spd shifters but usually you can just swap the internals out. You could get just the shifter and then a separate brake lever but again you'd need to shop around for old canti types - though there are some that do both and have a little toggle on the lever to set it to one or the other. Let me have a look through my box of ones I have taken off other bikes. I had these exact same ones on my old Marin yonks ago!

Reactions: C R

iluvmybike

Über Member
Have had a look in the old parts box - I do have the same lever but it is the front gear sti not rear gear sorry :sad:

OP
OP
M

Mordenmarauder

Hey, don't worry. Thanks for taking the time to check it out. Maybe someone else on the forum might be able to help with this. The part no. I quoted was for the front chainwheel shifter so suspect the 7-speed shifter might have a different part nos.? Prehaps not if they come as a set. The search continues.....

NotChrisFroome

Hello iluvmybike. Sorry to bother you. Do you still have this st-m020 shifter you mentioned?

I just pulled out of the garage and serviced a very old mountain bike with this system. It took me a week to open, clean and close everything. Although the grease became a glue, all parts were in good condition, except for the broken front shifter.

I had forgotten what it was like to ride this bike. Good memories.

Rafiki24

I know this is an old thread but I recently broke the right/rear plastic casing for my st-m020. Do any of you happen to have this spare part? 567317

Top Bottom