Shimano trigger gears problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markharry66

Über Member
Had a gear cable go so went to local bike shop. I noticed gear cable they supplied was thicker than one already had . Fitted it now the left hand gear. Noticed that it clicks up but wont click back down under tension its the one that controls the front. Oiled it and it would click up and down but no movement of the chain.

Any ideas or is it time for a new one.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Change the cable,should fix it, and a little oil in the trigger can also free them up.
so new inner and some oil..

Cubist

Still wavin'
1 sticky outer cable
2 not tensioned correctly

Front mechs can be pain the get right. Tension has to be just right as too much and the throw is wrong, too little and you get no movement. YouTube tutorials are your friend.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Gear cable comes in two main thicknesses, generally, 1.2mm and 1.5mm. I happily interchange the two on all of my bikes without issue, but rule of thumb is to change outer at the same time. Unless the inner is corroded or frayed/snapped, it's the outer that causes the majority of the problems associated with shifting.

OP
OP
markharry66

markharry66

Über Member
Hi not fitted, fitted myself. Cable is slightly thicker and when you feed it through trigger stopped working.
Took off protective bottom part sprayed with oil. Started working but wont budget cable or chain I am hoping this due to thickness of gear cable.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Some cables should not be oiled. If they are good quality, the cable will have a PTFE coating, and the outer will have a PTFE liner. Oil can make the PTFE swell, and that stops the cable sliding easily. Such high quality cables will work very well without any lubrication whatsoever.

Top Bottom