Shimano Ultegra BB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Got a Hollowtech II Ultegra BB on my summer bike that's done 1042 miles and since I've started using it again after after it been stored for a few months it sounds all creaky.

Is this typical for these BB's or is it that it might have got dusty when being stored (in my office) causing the problems?

I am 17 stone - maybe my weight is the issue?

I am going to inspect the bearings tonight but just wanted some members thoughts if they get a similar low mileage from their BB's??

Thanks

Drago

Legendary Member
That's quite a benign environment to park up a bike, and you're a featherweight whippet, so I doubt those are the problems.

Their lifespan is typically quite poor compared to quality BBs of yore.

U

User6179

Had HT2 BBs creak from day one , creak for a thousand miles then suddenly stop creaking, I just put up with it as long as the bearings are turning freely.
My PF HT2 just started creaking again yesterday as well but expect it will stop once it dries out .

S-Express

Never had an HT2 BB creak. Not from the BB itself, anyway. Possibly the cups need tightening in the BB shell, or the cranks need tightening on the BB.

My Ultegra hollwtech BB was toast after about 5k, although it probably needed changing at around 4k but I ignored a few creaks until they turned into proper knocking noises.

Top Bottom