Shimano Ultegra - good but not made for UK winters!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Rourke I've just had built has the 10 y/old 9spd Ultegra from my TCR donor bike and it's still in good fettle. Ridden in all weather at all times of year it still scrubs-up like new, minimal corrosion, never maintained apart from cleaning jockey wheels and the odd squirt of WD40 or GT84. Hubs shine like a new dime, but the cups are on their way out and the Freehub bearings are almost completely shot. Not bad I reckon.

The Rourke I've just had built has the 10 y/old 9spd Ultegra from my TCR donor bike and it's still in good fettle. Ridden in all weather at all times of year it still scrubs-up like new, minimal corrosion, never maintained apart from cleaning jockey wheels and the odd squirt of WD40 or GT84. Hubs shine like a new dime, but the cups are on their way out and the Freehub bearings are almost completely shot. Not bad I reckon.

More or less 'ditto' here too

A 1994 Dyna-Tech 755Ti, with 8-speed STI Ultegra, ridden through several winters, when it was usurped by a new Ridley, as 'best-bike'

The hubs are still shiney, brakes work smoothly, derailleurs still operate perfectly (bit of 'play' in the rear)
Only issue is the sometime recalcitrance of the r/h lever to change up (to a numerically smaller sprocket), but I guess it's passed any 9designed) life-expectancy??

The chain & rear-derailleur were scrubbed with red-diesel once/twice a week, dependant on weather/road conditions

Admittedly, it's had a new headset about 10 years ago (to a Stronglight)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Look after it and it looks after you.
The Ultegra on both bikes still going strong after many thousands of miles and years of all weather use.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Same here. Ultegra 6500 on both the Portland and Chutney. The Trek's done well over 14000 miles since I got it (2nd hand) and no issues whatsoever. Serviced at the LBS once a year, apart from that the mechs just get a good going over with GT85 when I clean it.

BigAl68

Über Member
Mine has had 15 months of being ridden most days and done probably close to 10K miles with no issues. As others have said look after it and it will look after you.

zacklaws

Guru
Seems to me, lack of maintenance and use, its OK washing it down, but whether your in California or England it will rust and eventually seize if it has been left. After washing it needs drying, the pivots lubricating, the whole mech spraying with GT 85 or WD40, I prefer GT85 and try to avoid WD40 unless it is only on metal, it can ruin seals especially in BB's. In the winter months I give the whole mech a spray over with GT85 before venturing out if it looks wet, Grease and water do not go together, unless you use a waterproof one, so if you have been greasing it, perhaps its been a normal grease and washed out.

I run Ultegra, 105, Sora and Sram through the winter months and never had a problem with corrosion.

User269

Seems to me, lack of maintenance and use, its OK washing it down, but whether your in California or England it will rust and eventually seize if it has been left. After washing it needs drying, the pivots lubricating, the whole mech spraying with GT 85 or WD40, I prefer GT85 and try to avoid WD40 unless it is only on metal, it can ruin seals especially in BB's. In the winter months I give the whole mech a spray over with GT85 before venturing out if it looks wet, Grease and water do not go together, unless you use a waterproof one, so if you have been greasing it, perhaps its been a normal grease and washed out.

I run Ultegra, 105, Sora and Sram through the winter months and never had a problem with corrosion.

Absolutely! I was about to post almost exactly the same comments; maintenance!

e-rider

crappy member
I've been using the Roubaix all through winter and am especially fussy about washing it down after riding on salted roads. Probably too fussy because last Wednesday my derailleur cage siezed and wouldn't swivel. Stripped it all down today and found that water had got into the body around the cage swivel, rusting the spring and causing the small steel axle to rust and sieze. There was no sign of any grease.

Clearly Shimano components are built for use in California and Spain and not in a UK winter.

The rear brake is in the same manky about-to-sieze condition so I need to strip it right down. Can anybody point me to some instructions online? It looks a bit of a job.
do you use a hose pipe or similar on it ?

HovR

Über Member
Got to say that I've been surprised by some of the Shimano stuff I've ordered recently that has come without grease or thread compound on some of the threads. Not a big deal and easy enough to remedy, but a bit odd for XT level stuff.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I wash the bike with car shampoo then sprinkle it with a gentle spray from a hose, taking care never to spray directly at any bearings. I don't generally follow up with a water repellent on bits like brake and derailleur pivots but will do henceforth.

All the Shimano stuff I've stripped has been well protected with threadlock against unscrewing but very sparingly greased.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I use Progold Prolink on all the pivots on gear mechs, brakes and a drop on areas such as the springs in Keos. After lubing the chain I just carry on with the hypodermic and apply a drop wherever. Good on exposed cables too.

Top Bottom