Shimano Ultegra Shifter Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

canyon80

Regular
I put my bike into a bike shop for a gear service last week. I knew there was a couple tweaks required at the rear cassett/derailleur area and that has apparently been sorted out.

However as part of this work and changing gear cables (I expected this to be done) Apparently the left gear shifter has failed, when it was opened up for changing cables a part in a sealed unit broke up. I have been told that I need a new shifter (it’s shimano Ultegra ST-R8000) so is an expensive one to replace (probably have to buy the pair also!). I’m told that basically the chain won’t move off the small ring due to this.

Does this sound a reasonable thing to have happened? It wasn’t an issue for me when I put the bike in for service which is what’s the annoying thing. The cynic in me does think it seems to fishy but to the credit of the repair shop they are happy for me to source the part myself to save money & will fit as part of the original service also. So they don’t profit from it.

finally thing to mention also is that I’m just over the 2 year warranty from shimano by a couple weeks. The shop are going to see if they can get replacement through this anyway but I’m not hopeful. I have been trying to get this service done since before the warranty would have expired ironically but they have had long backlogs due to COVID!

it must be woth enquiring with shimano explaining how because of covid you couldnt get it done in the last couple of months before the warranty ran out....whats the worst that could happen.?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yup. My left shifter failed, halfway up s mountain in France of all bloody places.
Ebay is your friend . You shouod be able to source a second hand one rather than forking out for two new ones.

velohomme

Same thing happened to my 6800 LHS shifter after I changed the cables. No idea why. Luckily being old I use the small chainrings most of the time anyway.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Apparently the left gear shifter has failed, when it was opened up for changing cables a part in a sealed unit broke up.
I appreciate this might have been 'lost in translation' (in the OP) but to replace the cable one doesn't open anything up: you just click the inside lever down to minimal tension and then thread in the cable, and Robert's avuncular. So I would ask your LBS to explain again what they "opened up".

Big John

Guru
I've just replaced a gear cable on one of these but the right shifter. I thought it would be a simple job but it wasn't. However, once I found out the secret 'compartment' under the rubber cover it was a case of open the cover and push the old cable out. Not what I expected but with a little scratching of the head I worked it out. I presume it works in a similar way on the left shifter. For the life of me I can't think how they managed to break the thing. If it worked when you took it in the shop it should work when it comes out the shop. Simples.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm with Big John. It was working when it went in, then they tinkered with it, now it is no longer working.

Ergo, they broke it.

OP
OP
canyon80

canyon80

Regular
I appreciate the feedback guys, there was something about it all that didn’t quite sit right. I’ll do a bit more digging.

newts

Veteran
My Ultegra right shifter failed//jammed after going in for a brake bleed & pad change. I don't think it's linked, but when i pulled the rubber hood back to take a look they'd used pliers to take the bleed screw out :cursing:. Still waiting to get in for proper inspection, hopefully shimano will come up trumps as it's less than 2 years old.

Top Bottom