Shimano v. SRAM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skipper

Aha! I have just seeeeeen the light ....... Wondered why I couldn't get the same gear ratio when I replaced my 8 speed cassette with a nice new SRAM one. I know every hill and road in my locale, and what gear I should be riding, but the SRAM combos threw me completely. Cog teeth numbers were all different.
Now I have discovered that Shimano cassettes have different teeth numbers. Bought a new Shimano 8 speed, and HEY PRESTO .... job done I think.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I don't get it. Which cassette did you replace and with what? As far as I know, you can get the same specification from both manufacturers, although there are obviously a few different choices. I have 12-27 on 2 different bikes, one is SRAM and 1 is Shimano, for example. You just need to make sure you are ordering the correct range for your needs.

OP
OP
Skipper

Skipper

On the original 11-32, and the first three were 11t, 13t, 15t and 18t. Then I bought a PG830 and found them to be 11t, 12t, 14t and 16t. Couldn't feel much difference in gears 7 and 8, and want my old 7th gear back! Is there a guide anywhere which tells you teeth numbers on different cassettes (for either SRAM or Shimano)?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
In the past, I have just gone to the manufacturer's website or googled the exact specs for the proposed cassette. It's an important consideration, for sure. Especially if you spend a lot of time in a particular gear and suddenly find that you can't get the ratio, anymore.

Top Bottom