Shimano WH-6800 not fit for purpose!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Majorblisters

Less than two years ago I bought a band new set of Ultegra (tubeless ready) wheelset as i wanted to give tubeless tyres a go, and up until this week my experience with running on tubeless on a road bike has been good, they feel great and had no flats. I have topped up the sealant since I first installed them so must have had some punctures along the way and they have self sealed. However, after a year+ of essentially running on the same sealant, thought it be time for a change, so after removing the tyres from the rims and cleaning everything up I notice the rim has corroded around the valve hole so much so it now doesn't make an air tight seal redeeming them useless for a tubeless set up.
Has anyone else had this issue or something similar?

Cheers

Attachments

• 12610.jpg
    12610.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 63

Domus

Guru
Can you not fill with epoxy, then ream out the valve hole?
Just an idea.

Jody

Stubborn git
It's not acceptable but the main bulk of the corrosion shouldn't cause an issue with sealing. Maybe the small dimple to the right of the hole might but I reckon you could sort that easily.

I'd contact Shimano first and see if they can do anything under warranty/sales of good act.

Good morning,

I know that you have WH-6800 wheels and this is a link to a document covering the WH-6700 (and other) wheels but it might make things difficult for you. :-)

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-WH0004-01-ENG.pdf

< WH-6700 > • We do not recommend that you use general-purpose alkaline puncture repair agents, as they may cause the rims to corrode and allow air leaks to occur.

Would the sealant that you used be one of these?

Bye

Ian

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Feel free to try your retailer as I think Shimano has a two year warranty. If you want to get back up and running tubeless, then just wrap a layer of tubeless tape around the rim. However, if the valve is tight enough I would have thought the rubber would deform and fill the hole anyway.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Tubeless rims that void a warranty if sealant is used :ohmy: :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Does seem bit pointless doesn't it.

Are all sealants alkaline?

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Can the corrosion be polished out to leave shiny metal? This is SOP for car alloys when they leak around the bead seat - powdery corrosion allows air to creep under the bead but simply cleaning it up (or, eventually, having the wheel refurbished) allows a good seal again.

OP
OP
Majorblisters

Majorblisters

Thanks for the feedback. It's my own fault as the Shimano instructions does advise not to use sealant, which seemed a bit odd since the wheelset are made as a dedicated tubeless setup, without the need for tape. I just thought anodised aluminium, like many tubeless wheelsets, would be unaffected with the use of tyre sealant, Stan's No Tubes in my case. I guess I'll have to resort back to Tubes as the corrosion has penetrated through the rim leaving a pinhole. Don't think I'm gonna buy any more Shimano wheels.

OP
OP
Majorblisters

Majorblisters

Can the corrosion be polished out to leave shiny metal? This is SOP for car alloys when they leak around the bead seat - powdery corrosion allows air to creep under the bead but simply cleaning it up (or, eventually, having the wheel refurbished) allows a good seal again.
The corrosion has penetrated through the rim leaving a pinhole showing light through about a 1mm away from the valve hole. It maybe repairable but can only think it would happen again.

Top Bottom