Shimano WH-6800 not fit for purpose!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Majorblisters

Majorblisters

Any corrosion anywhere else. Does seem strange as strictly speaking, thats also sealed against outside elements attacking the surface.
No corrosion anywhere else, only around the valve hole, on both wheels.

OP
OP
Majorblisters

Majorblisters

Good morning,

I know that you have WH-6800 wheels and this is a link to a document covering the WH-6700 (and other) wheels but it might make things difficult for you. :-)

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-WH0004-01-ENG.pdf

< WH-6700 > • We do not recommend that you use general-purpose alkaline puncture repair agents, as they may cause the rims to corrode and allow air leaks to occur.

Would the sealant that you used be one of these?

Bye

Ian
Hmm, yeah, I was kinda aware of this. But why would you go tubeless without using sealant, that would be daft, surely.. I really don't understand Shimano's thinking on this.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well latex is 66% water (comes from trees, remember) which won't do alloy rims any good and it's also alkaline as it contains 0.3% ammonia so you've got double trouble anywhere there's prolonged contact with unprotected alloy.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Fill with epoxy metal adhesive,smooth down. Use two layers of correct width (internal rim spacing) I like stans tape- its strong and pulls taught smooth. Cut a small X for valve and tighten down valve. When you've got the tyre back on with sealant (I use Orange endurance). retighten the valve again as the pressure inside will loosen the valve nut.

Top Bottom