Shimano XT replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albal

Guru
My front and rear XT mechs are beginning to show signs of wear. Both are not springing back after downshift. They have done in excess of 30,000 miles. So looking to replace and can't find these. Which ones would be a suitable replacement?

Running 9 speed triple.48-36-26.

Attachments

• IMG_20190426_1735482.jpg
    IMG_20190426_1735482.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190426_1735570.jpg
    IMG_20190426_1735570.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru

Jack_vdBerg

Regular
My rear XT derailleur went into my spokes, and snapped off. I am looking for a replacement as well... so I am wanting to have a look around as well...

CXRAndy

Guru
Last edited:
8,9,10 speed drive trains all have same width cassette. So no it doesn't matter if front derailleur is 8,9,10 description. It needs to be 3 X for the amount of chainrings

https://www.bikeman.com/bicycle-rep...o/1640-how-many-gears-can-i-put-on-this-thing
Your link appears to be about the rear.

I was referring to the front and wondering about the chain being more likely to touch the front mech cage. Which I think may well be narrower than a 9 speed front mech"s cage.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I have a 9 speed xt mech in the for sale, i also have a deore 9

Ive bumped it so you can find it

I could sell separately

IMG_20190119_144050.jpg

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Your link appears to be about the rear.

I was referring to the front and wondering about the chain being more likely to touch the front mech cage. Which I think may well be narrower than a 9 speed front mech"s cage.

The chain deviation is partly determined by cassette. However do take your point about it. Chain width difference is minimal. Triple setups are notorious for being extremely finicky even with so called ' correct' spec parts . I tend to ignore whether 9,10 differences

My front and rear XT mechs are beginning to show signs of wear. Both are not springing back after downshift. They have done in excess of 30,000 miles. So looking to replace and can't find these. Which ones would be a suitable replacement?

Running 9 speed triple.48-36-26.
That front is an XT771 isn't it?
If so, as your experience has shown they are good.
Have you considered just getting another?
You can still get them on ebay - sometimes new old stock. More commonly used but often very lightly.
I have a small stock laid up. And have managed to standardise three bikes on them.
Some old stuff is superior to the newer.
I got my last 771 for £10 (no postage as I went to collect it) and it seems pretty much as new to me even though it did come off a bike.
Rejoice in your nine speed.

OP
OP
albal

albal

Guru
Thanks the advice. Before I do any ordering of new parts, (can't go down S/H route for reliability issues ). I will probably soak said mechs overnight in de greaser. Anyone used vinegar ? All cables inner and outer have been replaced . Seems odd they both suffer similar issues at the same time. New in 2010.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have you used quality cables - i.e. the good Shimano ones or Jagwire with the coatings ? Take the mechs off and see if they will run through their full travel OK. WD40 or similar is good for cleaning the pivots up.

Also, too tight a turn on the gear cables can cause drag.

PS I've never had a mech lose it's springyness.

Thanks the advice. Before I do any ordering of new parts, (can't go down S/H route for reliability issues ).

Your call albal but I have no reason to doubt the reliability of any of the four* pretty much as new ones I have got laid up - as you know they are damn tough and reliable mechs and many will have seen little use - folk chasing the dragon/more speeds and "trading up" to something that may well be more delicate.

You could look into this though you will have to research online for its exact specs - if you are interested I may have some info somewhere.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171724099919?ul_noapp=true

* One about to go on a new build, the other three will be spares for what will then be three bikes with that mech - expect them to see me out - can maybe remember you in my will if you want :smile:

Top Bottom