Ship sinks, cars lost.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

We spotted that and thought it might make a great scuba diving site as the Azores is already a popular dive destination then spotted it's in 3500m of water. That's a touch on the deep side for a holiday dive !

tyred

Legendary Member
With all the huge amounts of fuel, oil, etc stored on a large ship, I doubt that the relatively small amount found in a car would make it much worse than any other large ship going down from an environmental point of view. I wonder what happens to all the plastics found in modern cars if sunk in the ocean.

I believe that there's a shipload of Allis Chalmers tractors at the bottom of the Atlantic which got sunk during WW2.

On the upside less cars, downside more polluting of the sea.

that's the problem: the pollution will be on the bottom of the sea or spread out. I notice the Lithium batteries have been identified as a problem in keeping the fire going though. I've heard them described as a sort of battery bomb with a tendency to explode which I suspect will be a growing problem in the future.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Anyone on here had a call from their Porsche dealership saying their car will be delayed?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There is a ship lost in the 1940's at the western end of Tiree with among other things a cargo of American Army Jeeps destined for the war in Europe. Not too deep so a good scuba dive site and while the ship structure has collapsed it still makes an interesting dive and not too accessible to the souvenir hunting wreckers.

Top Bottom