Shipping to oz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alipen1234

Hi does anyone know the cheapest way to ship a mountain bike 27.5inch to Australia from UK. My son has emigrated and wants his bike se T over. Thanks in advance

weareHKR

There's a multitude of different options @Alipen1234 - better off using the old Google :okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Do you live near an airport? Having previously worked in air freight, I know the basics of it. You will need to complete paper work, and package it very well to prevent damage by disinterested handlers along the way. Best bet would be to visit or phone a handling company like Swissport or DHL.. It won't be cheap, and will be weight/bulk dependent! The other way is to send it by sea, which requires the same paper work but the delivery time will be much increased. On the plus side, it will be cheaper.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it a valuable bike? I wonder if it might be cheaper to sell here and he buy a new (second hand) one over there?

If it has strong sentimental value, then perhaps money and potential aggro no bother

Ajax Bay

Guru
What bike is it? If you're not 'into bikes' just share whats written on it and its fork, and if you have an idea, what year. Or get sunny Jim to sign on here and tell us.

OP
OP
A

Alipen1234

Bear in mind you are going to have to completely clean the bike - there are rules about dirt and stuff coming into Australia. I have a work colleague that had to strip and clean the bike. He decided to fit new tyres as a precaution. Double check the rules.
Yes I was aware of that and was going to get it cleaned by bicycle shop thanks

OP
OP
A

Alipen1234

The other option is:-

Tell him to bog off, it's your bike now ! :whistle:;)
LOL I couldn't ride it even if I wanted too😁

OP
OP
A

Alipen1234

Is it a valuable bike? I wonder if it might be cheaper to sell here and he buy a new (second hand) one over there?

If it has strong sentimental value, then perhaps money and potential aggro no bother
I think he paid over £600for it. But having checked a few companies this maybe only option

OP
OP
A

Alipen1234

Do you live near an airport? Having previously worked in air freight, I know the basics of it. You will need to complete paper work, and package it very well to prevent damage by disinterested handlers along the way. Best bet would be to visit or phone a handling company like Swissport or DHL.. It won't be cheap, and will be weight/bulk dependent! The other way is to send it by sea, which requires the same paper work but the delivery time will be much increased. On the plus side, it will be cheaper.
Unfortunately not I'm in cornwall. I will check these companies thank you

straas

Matt
£600 is (relatively) low value. I think the best option would be to sell here and buy over there, although I have no idea about the Australian market.

Top Bottom