Shocked by peoples reluctance to spend relatively small amounts on a bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markharry66

Über Member
Bottom line dont make money then your not a business your a hobby. Sell yourself short bet plagued by low paying clients.
Set yourself up for a fall and watch it tumble. Of course it doesnt always work out that way as people always under cut you.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
As someone was saying before about fixing computers etc for friends. I used to be a Network Engineer back in the late 90s and I got the whole 'will you fix my PC thing' and I would spend hours sorting out their little network and PCs for a 'Ta, see you soon then'. Now I tell them I'm a luddite and have forgotten most of it, which is true ^_^

I used to get that too, folk would say, "Go see GC, he's right into computers.."
Nobody would ever dream of saying, "Go see Dave, he's right into plumbing..." and expect to get a boiler sorted for two beers and a curry.

GC

Robson3022

I buy and sell second had furniture as well as doing house clearances. Its unbelivable how many people I have offended when offering them £30 for there suite they paid £1500 for 5 years ealier. Every time I get it for £30 as when I break it down-

There is a ceeling with standard second hand furniture. A mint leather 3 piece in a desireable colour will do maximum of £300-£350. Ill work from the top..

£300-£30 purchase
£270-£20 in fuel picking the suite up and I offer free delivery within 20 miles
£250- £50 in wages for staff to pick up and deliver suite if theres only that job on
£200- £40 in wages for someone to be in the shop while I am out
So I'm left with £160 to pay rent, rates, insurance, maintainance on the van, Tax for the van, Income tax then finaly a wage.

Thats on a £300 suite I get for £30 I possibly do this once every 2 months. The rest of the time I'm usually paying £30 for suites I sell between £100-£200

Its the same for removals I charge £70 a load if I only get one load I make nothing for myself as the driver gets £35 the van lad gets £20 that leaves £15 for fuel! The amount of people who complain about me charging £70 is crazy!!!

rebelpeter

Someone wanted me to do some work on their bike but it was obvious that they thought I was ripping them off. It was a nice example of a Raleigh Pioneer. It needed a new back wheel (cassette type) New rear brake blocks (Annoying calliper peg type) The front was jammed and needed freeing and the gears needed indexing. These were what I considered essential to getting it rideable. I also advised that they should have all cables replaced as they were rusty in places and have a new chain fitted.
When I told them it would be about £80 for this (and that was being kind I thought) they looked at one another (for it was a couple) and mumbled to each other about how it was supposed to have been a cheap bike to get to work on.
I asked how much they paid for the bike. £25 was the answer and they even seemed ****ed off at that because of the back wheel situation. Even though I tried to explain to them that a Raleigh Pioneer in good condition having been serviced and supplied with a brand new back wheel for a little over £100 was quite good really they still seemed to think that it was too much.

What is wrong with people. They are going to save the price of the bike in bus fairs within a couple of months. If you spend £25 on a bike then that's what you get. The days of buying a bike that's in perfect nick for £25 have gone. I get the feeling that they wouldn't baulk at the silly prices garages charge for car repairs or the stupid prices of bus and train fairs but bikes should be dirt cheap and bike mechanics willing to work for nothing. If it's that easy then do it yourself.
Rant over. Kindly sympathetic comments welcome. Harsh, get over it comments may make me cry.

well you know what some people are like mostly they have the money but are
scared to spend it i do repairs too, i find the normal working man in a normal
car spends on repairs no worries, but when they drive up with a bmw etc
they are soooooooooo careful with their money, hardly worth having it if you dont spend some, my mate
use to say - you dont have any money until you spend some of it-

rp

oldroadman

Veteran
Self employed need to make an absolute minimum £30/hour to cover costs, pension, insurance, tools and replacements, premises, holidays, tax, everything. Less than that you are a charity. I'll bet the same people don't blink at lawyer/accountant and garage bills. Compare, try working out what the nice new shiny car will cost to service - try £100 - £200 per hour labour alone. High? Yes, but they have to send technicians on manufacturer courses, maintain the tools and software, premises, all the massive costs of doing business in a country where HMG are paperwork mad.
I agree with the above. Give them a proper quote, stick with it, and if they decide not to play then fine. The hassle is not worth it. They can always go to H...ds!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I buy and sell second had furniture as well as doing house clearances. Its unbelivable how many people I have offended when offering them £30 for there suite they paid £1500 for 5 years ealier. Every time I get it for £30 as when I break it down-

There is a ceeling with standard second hand furniture. A mint leather 3 piece in a desireable colour will do maximum of £300-£350. Ill work from the top..

£300-£30 purchase
£270-£20 in fuel picking the suite up and I offer free delivery within 20 miles
£250- £50 in wages for staff to pick up and deliver suite if theres only that job on
£200- £40 in wages for someone to be in the shop while I am out
So I'm left with £160 to pay rent, rates, insurance, maintainance on the van, Tax for the van, Income tax then finaly a wage.

Thats on a £300 suite I get for £30 I possibly do this once every 2 months. The rest of the time I'm usually paying £30 for suites I sell between £100-£200

Its the same for removals I charge £70 a load if I only get one load I make nothing for myself as the driver gets £35 the van lad gets £20 that leaves £15 for fuel! The amount of people who complain about me charging £70 is crazy!!!

You forgot depreciation on the van too.

sazzaa

I'd rather pay decent money for someone who's an expert than get a bike "fixed" for free by a fool! I don't think any of these bargain/coupon type tv programmes help matters either, they just make everyone think they can have expensive stuff for a cheap price... If you can't really afford it then you shouldn't be buying it. But on the other hand, a lot of companies (Kwik Fit spring to mind) rip you off and make you feel like a fool for even considering paying them! It's hard to find good quality tradesmen that's actually worth paying full whack for.

Top Bottom