Shocked by peoples reluctance to spend relatively small amounts on a bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
So wrong on this, I am one of the more expensive in my trade and see off competition all the time.

Buy cheap buy twice.

Nobody ever regrets buying quality.
Off post a little but .... See this SO often - not always true. If you can pay less for the SAME service or SAME product, you are just being sensible. I look for the best deal. I don't have unlimited funds, and if I can buy the same for less I will.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yes mainly for cheap skates who have no idea of quality.

Not at all. It's about value for money. Only a fool will pay more when they can get the same product and/or service for less. There are many factors to consider but price is the big one as most of us do not have unlimited funds.

Obviously I do not expect to get a Rolls Royce for the price of a Ford Fiesta but if I can buy my Rolls from the dealer across town for £10k less than the dealer on my doorstep and they both provide the same customer care and warranty services then clearly there would have to be some other major reason to spend the extra £10k

The other side of the argument is that some products or services are just so shockingly bad that any price, no matter how low, is too much!

For Screenman to say that anyone who considers value for money are cheapskates is just wrong and smacks of snobbishness and conspicuous consumption of the worst kind ("Look at me! I have expensive things at high prices that you couldn't possibly afford or appreciate.")

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
In conclusion I think I will up prices a bit over a period of time. At the moment I'm at the bottom end of lbs prices but would be more comfortable in the middle. I'm worth it and I do a good job. I'm honest with my customers and don't try to sell them stuff I know they don't need. (However sometimes people will insist on buying stuff they don't need. I always try and offer my opinion in a polite and non patronising way but if they want something then they want it).

on the road

Über Member
So wrong on this, I am one of the more expensive in my trade and see off competition all the time.

Buy cheap buy twice.

This is what's so wrong with a lot of bike shops, they up their prices trying to scare off those looking for bargains and only insist on selling high end brands at inflated prices. While they might do good business in the short term but they're only selling to a tiny section of the market so they're not going to make a lot of money, I've seen a lot of bike shops close down because they're prices were too high.

As for me, I'm not one those who buy the lowest brand components, I buy the next highest components like Ultegra but I'm still looking for a bargain, that usually means buying on-line. Yes the LBS might have to put their prices up to cover rates, rents and wages but that's their problem not mine, my only concern is getting the same top brand component at the cheapest price. If they go out of business then who do you blame, the LBS for upping their prices or the customer for buying the same top brand elsewhere for less?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In conclusion I think I will up prices a bit over a period of time. At the moment I'm at the bottom end of lbs prices.

Probably best to up the prices to your chosen level sooner rather than later.

If you gain a reputation as cheap, it will be harder to up prices in future.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You also need to sound confident when quoting, if you sound a bit unsure about the price the customer will take it as a weakness and be more inclined to try to knock you down.

A printed outline tariff may assist, you can't cover every job but it would give the customer an idea of what financial ballpark they are in.

In other words, a mechanic who charges, say, £30 for a small service is clearly not going to do a full bike rebuild for £35.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
But, it is a BIG part of the decision!

Well, I think the decision to decide to buy is the biggie. How much you finally pay based on perception of vfm, credibility & quality of the service provider, after sales support etc etc is neither here nor there and for me price doesn't come into it unless comparing absolute like for likes.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Buy cheap buy twice.

Our business is far and away the most expensive of its type locally and we are far and away the busiest too with really high levels of repeat business.

We often quote way ahead of competitor businesses who quote cheap and still secure the deal based on our reputation for quality and service.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I charge £60 per sq/m inc materials and labour (usually), and I tell the customer this in the initial conversation. So, armed with a sq/m price and knowing the size of their structure, the cost is pretty obvious, or at least you would think it was........................
Liposuction?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
If youre running a business people buy into you aswell as what you are selling/ service . Ive been in loads of bike shops since I bought my low end giant road bike and have varied opinions on them . I now shop at giant because I know I will be welcomed to piss about for as long as I want looking at stuff rather than get shoved out the door by a grumpy nobber .
Sometimes I spend a few quid sometimes I just ask questions and spend nothing . If / when I upgrade my road bike and buy new I will be shopping with my local giant shop rather than the other local bike shops .
So back to the point of what YOU want to do when running a business . What do YOU want to be doing ?
A background on yourself may help us that run a business rather than those that say keep prices low :thumbsup:

crazyjoe101

I appreciate the time it takes as I do most of the work on my bike myself, I can't afford otherwise. It's a steep learning curve but I save a lot and for the £80 or so I've spent plus countless hours of learning and working my bike feels totally different. The guys at the LBS are always happy to help me out, even though they're not getting the money for the fitting etc. It annoys me how people will buy something cheap which will never stay in one piece and can often end up spending more on repairs than a good bike would cost in the first place. Or worse still let a nice bike fall into disrepair :sad:

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
I went to a 2 million plus house in Highgate London to price for an extension to a CCTV system and intruder alarm system, the price was reasonable. He then argued about the price for 15 minutes, I explained that if I did not make a 15% margin (the price he wanted to pay was at a 7% margin) I would not be paid my commission, he then said ".don't care about your commission to which I replied.

"If I don't get my commission I don't give a flying fark about your security systems" he signed the paperwork without another word. :smile:

Top Bottom