Shocked by peoples reluctance to spend relatively small amounts on a bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moda

Unfortunately a lot of people have lost sight of the true cost of labour.

Too many people know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

vickster

Legendary Member
One of my client companies turns over $100bn a year...recently my contact had a quibble about £30 parking at Gatwick...after I got up at 5am, home at 10pm, and had to fly sleazy jet

My hourly charge out rate is ridiculous, I wouldn't pay it :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When mobiles first came in, my manager told me to take a company phone home one weekend, to keep it with me at all times, and to remain sober, close to a computer with an internet connection, and ready for work from 08:00 - 00:00, in case our technicians out on a site visit needed support. I asked how much standby money was being offered. The figure that he had in mind was 'zilch', but I would be paid for any work I actually did, in multiples of 1/4 hour, rounded down! I politely declined ... We had a lengthy discussion about it. He couldn't see that me giving up my plans for the entire weekend was worthy of a payment. In the end, I squeezed £20-odd out of him.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Paintless dent repair/removal.

This is one of mine, I know it is a bit of a mess but I am struggling to get the right web guy.
www.dentex-pdr.co.uk/

Is it just me, or does your job seem to involve staring at a weird blue dildo? :huh:
TrainingPic.jpg

Cubist

Still wavin'
@mcshroom ....I take it you know how to delete browser history?

Reactions: 4F

screenman

Legendary Member
I thought it was a very shortsighted man looking at an ultra-widescreen monitor!

(I assume it is actually a light which helps you see the smallest of dents on panels?)

10 out of 10, it also helps you see the tool moving under the metal, which is the part most people fail to get.

Make it good under the light and it will be fixed.

perplexed

Guru
When mobiles first came in, my manager told me to take a company phone home one weekend, to keep it with me at all times, and to remain sober, close to a computer with an internet connection, and ready for work from 08:00 - 00:00, in case our technicians out on a site visit needed support. I asked how much standby money was being offered. The figure that he had in mind was 'zilch', but I would be paid for any work I actually did, in multiples of 1/4 hour, rounded down! I politely declined ... We had a lengthy discussion about it. He couldn't see that me giving up my plans for the entire weekend was worthy of a payment. In the end, I squeezed £20-odd out of him.

I used to work at a shop years ago. We worked roughly a 50 hour week for crap pay, with Sunday our only full day off.

When mobiles came in, the owner/director thought it'd be a great idea to offer an 'emergency' delivery service on a Sunday for our customers. Well, his customers really...

His brilliant idea was that me, or one of the other staff, would take 'the mobile' home. If a customer rang, we were expected to drive to the shop, open up, load the van, boot up the computer, raise an invoice, deliver said goods up to 40 miles, return, lock up, set alarms, drive home.

And possibly repeat if someone else phoned. He was utterly, genuinely astounded when we suggested we might be paid to do this. On our one day off per week. He really expected to us to not only be on call for nothing, but if work came in, to do it for nothing, and not being able to go anywhere on your own time.

He eventually offered £10.

Pi$$ off...

akb

Veteran
An old school 'friend' (he wasnt actually a friend, just someone I knew and was in all intents and purposes a bit of a nob!) asked me to shoot their wedding over facebook. Conversation went something like this:

Him: Hello....blah blah school related blah blah. I am getting married on 32nd Juluary 2014, could you shoot my wedding for me please?
Me: Yeah not a problem. Whats your budget?
Him: £100 plus a crate of beer.
Me: (A bit tongue in cheek as I wanted a reaction and wasnt that bothered by his request) Ok, add to that a night with your soon to be wife and we have a deal. (She also went to same school and used to be a looker...!

Didnt hear from him from that point. Not sure why.

Cheek of it. £4000 worth of kit, insurance, experience and costs of various photography classes, plus the hours of preperation before the wedding and editing time after the wedding. For £100. From someone who has spent ££££ on dresses, cakes, venue to name a few. Some people have no idea.

pplpilot

Guru
Cheek of it. £4000 worth of kit, insurance, experience and costs of various photography classes, plus the hours of preperation before the wedding and editing time after the wedding. For £100. From someone who has spent ££££ on dresses, cakes, venue to name a few. Some people have no idea.

Exactly the same reason I keep quiet about my photography. I used to do the odd wedding as second shooter and eventually went on my own. Never again. shame because I used to love shooting weddings. And from people that would think nothing of paying a £10 hire charge for chair covers x100.

akb

Veteran
Exactly the same reason I keep quiet about my photography. I used to do the odd wedding as second shooter and eventually went on my own. Never again. shame because I used to love shooting weddings. And from people that would think nothing of paying a £10 hire charge for chair covers x100.

Dont get me wrong, I love shooting weddings. I also love getting paid though! My charges are very reasonable.
These are small instances where people try to haggle. I had a lady try and haggle me down once for a wedding, as she had spent too much on the ice sculptures....! Nice to know where her priorities are! Frozen water which will be gone in a few days or photographic memories which last a lifetime.

Top Bottom