Shocking the way the public think of cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's not 'the public', it's a small sub-section of online readers of the Daily Heil, a few keyboard warriors.
I read what you refer to as the Daily Heil. The reports probably are more anti cyclist than pro cyclist,but they tend to focus on the types of 'cyclists' i'm against too. Have a look at the comments section when there's a report about 'bad cycling/cyclists'. Many comments defend responsible cyclists,posting about the difference between good and bad.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Yeah, the mail like to portray everyone as being victimised by lawless cyclists. The headlines promote conflict, and the comments are full of hatred, yet in all my time riding in pedestrianised areas, shared paths, towpaths, parks and squares I've never had any hint of aggro from peds. Maybe I've just been very lucky or maybe it's because I slow down in shared spaces and give other people some space/respect/courtesy.

I treat the newspapers as caricatures & fiction.

The answer is simple, stop reading the heil. That will greatly enhance your life and make you a happier person. It's just contemptuous filth read it and it will infest your mind, stop looking at it.
I read the online version to grasp what the dark side of society can do and I mean the paper. It is not journalism by any measure.I am surprised there are people prepared to work for it. It also shows what some people think about others which other papers avoid reporting for PC reasons.

They target vulnerable people to share their thoughts and what they do. Many of them do not even realise they are being ridiculed by the readership as a result of the exposure. I also sense that they find the female gender in particular an easy target by complimenting them on print but these are clearly back handed compliments.

The fact that it has the highest readership or they provide good information more timely on occasions is pure imagination. It's not journalism, just trash. You can get proper news, responsible reporting and factual information each and every time from so many other papers and media companies.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
It's not 'the public', it's a small sub-section of online readers of the Daily Heil, a few keyboard warriors.
The Bristol Post is just as bad. I just had an online argument with someone on their forum whose opinion is 'all sane people hate cyclists'. These rags do spew out hate propaganda, especially the Daily Fail. It's aimed at the Brexit voting right wing populists (I believe the current terminology is 'gammon':okay:). I see that D list 'actor' Fox, who's standing for London Mayor, has a cliched policy of wanting to 'remove all un-necessary cycle lanes'. So how does an actor decide which cycle lanes are 'necessary'?.

icowden

Veteran
Now maybe this should be in the news section but to me, it's not the story itself. It's the comments made by those who contribute their feelings about cyclists that's the real eye-opener here

It shouldn't be. Remember that these are the same people who think "foreigners" should go back to where they come from, that refugees are a blight on society and should drown in their boats and who enjoy stories that being black or gay gives you cancer. The Daily Hate only attracts the best people.

icowden

Veteran
I see that D list 'actor' Fox, who's standing for London Mayor, has a cliched policy of wanting to 'remove all un-necessary cycle lanes'. So how does an actor decide which cycle lanes are 'necessary'?.

That's easy. For him It's all of them!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It shouldn't be. Remember that these are the same people who think "foreigners" should go back to where they come from, [...]
Not all of them, of course. The descendants of Germans that wear crowns are fine. As are those of Huguenots that call for others to go home. Probably many of the readers are descended from Strangers, Orangemen, Burgundians, Angevins, Normans... so they won't have to go "home" either. Really, the ones who need to go home are those with different skin pigments and those who believe in slightly different powerful sky beings.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
To be fair he may be right on cycle lanes, outside London at least
Far right on cycle lanes, more like!

Which is sort of confusing: hard cycle lanes are mostly self-enforcing, support the masses in personal liberation (no tracking and monitoring bikes with ANPR) and promote physical health, and it is a classic symbol of traditional Englishness, all stuff that the far right are usually in favour of. Even when it goes a bit too far and strays into segregation, that is not usually something they are afraid of! So what is their problem with cycleways???

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

Which is sort of confusing: hard cycle lanes are mostly self-enforcing, support the masses in personal liberation (no tracking and monitoring bikes with ANPR) and promote physical health, and it is a classic symbol of traditional Englishness, all stuff that the far right are usually in favour of. Even when it goes a bit too far and strays into segregation, that is not usually something they are afraid of! So what is their problem with cycleways???
It's the 'cyclists slow me down and prevent me from driving wherever I like, however I like &...as fast as I like' attitude combined with the 'I pay road tax, they don't' misconception.

To paraphrase Richard Burton at the opening of WOTW, 'They look at this Earth cycling space with envious eyes'

Profpointy

Legendary Member

That's an excellent point which hadn't occurred to me. Maybe it's something to do with the (far, and perhaps not-so-far) right's traditional hatred of "the other" whether they be immigrants/different races, gay people, anyone vulnerable who can therefore be bullied. You have to conform, so anyone who's doing something slightly different is the enemy. Quite why cycling is seen as "different" escapes me

Top Bottom