Shocking the way the public think of cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Not all of them, of course. The descendants of Germans that wear crowns are fine. As are those of Huguenots that call for others to go home. Probably many of the readers are descended from Strangers, Orangemen, Burgundians, Angevins, Normans... so they won't have to go "home" either. Really, the ones who need to go home are those with different skin pigments and those who believe in slightly different powerful sky beings.
That's a bit harsh there. Many people of different skin pigments don't believe in any sky beings.

icowden

Veteran
It's the 'cyclists slow me down and prevent me from driving wherever I like, however I like &...as fast as I like' attitude combined with the 'I pay road tax, they don't' misconception.

And we can easily identify this type when we are on our bikes. They are the ones (like the gentleman yesterday) who felt that I was going too slowly down a hill (20mph in a 30mph zone) after delaying him hugely going up the hill (by at least 3 seconds) during which time he couldn't overtake but had his bonnet as near to my rear axle as possible). After he did finally close pass me, of course he turned left across me, and got delayed turning in so that I could sail past him, call him a d**khead and continue to enjoy my ride. Shame I didn't have the camera on me.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Quite why cycling is seen as "different" escapes me
They all think they're superior, hadn't you heard?

I have to say I'm not the least bit 'shocked' to discover that a fair number of Mail readers are bitter, twisted 'other-haters'; I'm mostly pleasantly surprised by the news that a nasty thug has actually been jailed for his thuggery, tho' his only victim was a cyclist.

I'm not sure that sexualising children and young women in their sidebar of shame, counts as a compliment...
Not sure if you read my entire sentence that you quoted.

"A backhanded compliment is any comment that blurs the line between an insult and a compliment. These comments are also sometimes known as left-handed compliments or stealth insults."

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
After seeing some posts on local Facebook pages, I think there is a vocal minority of cycle haters who think everyone agrees with them - but in general, the majority of people don't agree at all - they just don't bother engaging with them. The voices of reason get more likes and the haters seem to club together in their own little self-affirming huddle each trying to outdo the other in the depths of their vitriol.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Update: London's 'un-necessary' cycle lanes appear to be safe from marauding foxes:okay::
London Mayoral candidate polling
BTW...is the UKIP candidate really Mr Gammons?:laugh::laugh:

al78

Guru
The Daily Mail comments section is mostly populated by extreme right wing idiots who have entrenched extremist opinions, so it is not surprising what they write about cyclists. They will hate anyone who isn't exactly like them, they are best ignored.

al78

Guru

Or this:
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/company-director-jailed-wife-fined-pushing-cyclist-off-bike-145103433.html

Passing 1-2 meters away at 12 mph is justification for hospitalising someone apparently. I'm inclined to think the cyclist was too close given they were walking a dog (dog walkers are like gas, they consume any space they are in), but I am also inclined to hope that such a person ultimately tries that with someone who is capable of smashing his face in and willing. If dreadful behaviour frequently came with dreadful consequences to the perpetrator, there would be less of it around.

It shouldn't be. Remember that these are the same people who think "foreigners" should go back to where they come from, that refugees are a blight on society and should drown in their boats and who enjoy stories that being black or gay gives you cancer. The Daily Hate only attracts the best people.

I do wonder if it's just another case of people with a political agenda persuading their followers they're part of a persecuted "in" group and demonising anyone who isn't part of that group*. It's a convenient way of getting people to bunch together against a perceived enemy and following without asking too many awkward questions.

It just happens that we as cyclists are part of the "other" group in this case.

*A method currently beloved of populists on both extremes...

winjim

Smash the cistern
Or this:
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/company-director-jailed-wife-fined-pushing-cyclist-off-bike-145103433.html

Passing 1-2 meters away at 12 mph is justification for hospitalising someone apparently. I'm inclined to think the cyclist was too close given they were walking a dog (dog walkers are like gas, they consume any space they are in), but I am also inclined to hope that such a person ultimately tries that with someone who is capable of smashing his face in and willing. If dreadful behaviour frequently came with dreadful consequences to the perpetrator, there would be less of it around.
The thing that you hope for literally happened.

Top Bottom