Shoes again...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Hi all,

I have decided to bite the bullet and get some cleat compatible shoes!
Have been to the local bike shop, but they really only sell Bontrager road shoes. I have nothing against Bontrager, but they do seem to cater for people with what I like to think of as "normal" feet. I, on the other hand, am blessed with feet that *should* make me an excellent swimmer (i'm not) given their width. I did try a pair that were ordered in for me and they would have fit nicely if I could surgically remove my little toes.

I quite like the idea of the shoes where the cleat is recessed so you don't have to walk like a duck when you aren't on the bike.
The pedals I have are dual pedals with cleats on one side and flat pedals the other. The attachments for the shoes have two holes (My technical knowledge around bike shoes is astounding you I can tell).

Any recommendations for bike shoes that

1) Don't cost as much as an iPad
2) Match up with the above (i.e extra-wide, recessed cleats)?

My current bike shoe is a Five_Ten MTB Shoe. I did try the cleated version of the same shoe but the fit was completely different and nowhere near as wide in the toe.

gcogger

I found this article the other day - may help with the wide feet bit (not sure about the cost bit!).

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Lake Are certainly worth a look. they do true wide fittings. Also the way they size is not just by following a traditional length but combine length and width.
https://lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-charts

Thanks, that's very useful although still confusing and the video is hilarious (let's show how to measure feet using an incredibly "Normal" foot that fits into any shoe)

For example, my foot length works out at 273 (267 + 5mm), but my foot width is 112.
If I am looking at the MX176 then to get a 112 width I would need an EU 45.5 wide, but for the length I would be an EU 43.

What do I do, take an average and go for the EU44?

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I found this article the other day - may help with the wide feet bit (not sure about the cost bit!).
That's really helpful although sadly already a little out of date :sad:
Looks like the two front runners for me are the Lake MX176 and the Sidi Trace 2 Mega.

Both seem to be stocked by Sigma Sports and there is a shop not too far from me, so that might be worth a shot.

My local bike shop are very nice, but do seem to be aimed less at my type of physique. Sweetly they started to talk about the weight of the shoe. I had to point out that if I were concerned about making my ride lighter, a better starting point would be with the engine. 30 grams off a shoe isn't going to make a difference when the engine could do with shedding 20kg.:boxing:

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
If you’ve got Sigma Sports near you then there’s no substitute for trying the shoe on.

I’ve heard that even with the measurements from Lake some people still need to size up and others fit exactly to the recommendation.

I’ve heard that even with the measurements from Lake some people still need to size up and others fit exactly to the recommendation.

This is true,

I'm an 8 (42) but still needed a 43 in Lake Widefit.

I've got road shoes though (CX 238) so could be narrower than the MX version?

Bont are also another brand that caters for wide feet.

vickster

Legendary Member
Order into the Sigma store (IIRC you on,y pay on collection), try on, return if needed. However, last time I went in, they had strict Covid rules, no browsing etc, so I’d phone in advance to check the situation with trying on shoes
https://www.sigmasports.com/stores/hampton-wick

Last edited:

newts

Veteran
I bought cx & mx176 size 44 in wide fit from Sigma after Vicksters recommend on another thread. I've gone with the mx176 with spd's over the road shoe. They've only been used on the turbo a couple of times due to weather issues & are feeling good. These are alot roomier in the toe box than my spesh torch 3 in the same size. Returns for the road shoe was free & easy with Sigma😁

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Well, I went for a visit today. They didn't have the Lake in the showroom, but the nice chap I was speaking to was concerned that they might not work for my feet anyway as the width tends to expand with the length. In the end we found some Shimano SH XC701s which seem to fit nice and comfortably with softish uppers that don't pinch my little toes.

Next step is to try them out and try not to fall off the bike. I'm getting too old and fat for that nonsense!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Glad you found some - essential with shoes as they do vary. I bought some Shimano ones after a visit to Decathlon having tried them on. A year or so later I fancied some Winter boots, and Shimano have some with the same sole as my existing shoes, so it was a safe bet to order some on-line without trying any on.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I just couldn't face the whole, order a pair of shoes, try them send them back, rinse and repeat for weeks on end. It's so much easier and quicker to walk into a shop with stock and someone who knows shoes.

Thanks for all the help folks!

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Update - it's back to the shop for me.
The Shimano's are cutting into my ankles like a scimitar. Too much instep <sigh>

Mike_P

Guru
Re wanting shoes with recesses cleats, Shimano make adaptors so you can use recessed SPDs on any road shoe so that could widen your choice.

Top Bottom