Shoes for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

recommend me a shoe please.....!

I have a pair of SPD pedals that i still have not fitted to my bianchi. Im using my old pedals from my mountain bike ....sacrillage on a brand new bianchi carbon i know but its a mix of being a bit chicken about making the move to cleats and also not having any shoes to go with the pedals.

I would like the shoes to be water proof and cheap....as im a bit skint what with xmas.

Whaddaya think???

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I use Specialized Sonoma which were a reasonable price.

I work on the principle that I will never be dry, so I might as well be wet but comfortable. So Gore overshoes do it for me - about 30mins without water coming through, then they soak through but at least I don't get cold feet.

jay clock

Massive member
i use Specialized Taho shoes - excellent all round shoes. I even do triathlons in them (with elastic tri-laces)

In terms of pedals the M324 pedal is ideal - SPD one side and flat the other. It soon becomes second nature to choose the right side and move to the unclipped side when at junctions, lights or dodgy places

U

User482

I have shimano MT51s which are superb. I also use Diadora Chilli extreme boots in the depths of winter - they really are waterproof and keep your feet toasty.

Tynan

Veteran
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I work on the principle that I will never be dry, so I might as well be wet but comfortable. So Gore overshoes do it for me - about 30mins without water coming through, then they soak through but at least I don't get cold feet.

I've got lovely vented shoes that don't get on wth water and cold at all

Been using overshoes and they're ok but starting to part at the seams already after a dozen odd outings and they are one more thing to faff around with

Anyone tried the Northwind 'waterproof and warm' boots on wiggle? Granted they're £85 but if they are waterproofish and warm I think that's worth it

or are the £20 waterproof merino socks a better idea?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Hairy Jock said:
I use Specialized Sonoma which were a reasonable price.

+1

Pair them with some overshoes for wet days and you're laughing ! They're also great for dress-down days at work like today - I'm wearing them right now ! (I used to bring trainers in my rucksack but the extra bulk and weight became a real pain).

Maz

Guru
I really need to get a 2nd pair, so I can wear them the next day whilst the 1st pair dry out after a wet ride home.

I can't remember -- do cleats normally come with the shoes or do you buy them separately?

Tynan

Veteran
stuff them full of newspaper balled up and put them on a radiator if possible and the dry remarkably quickly

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Maz said:
I really need to get a 2nd pair, so I can wear them the next day whilst the 1st pair dry out after a wet ride home.

I can't remember -- do cleats normally come with the shoes or do you buy them separately?

Cleats didn't come with mine. tend to come with the pedal.

Just got me a second pair of Lakes from JEJames this afternoon. £29.99

Whatever you get, try them on first

Maz

Guru
gambatte said:
Cleats didn't come with mine. tend to come with the pedal.

Just got me a second pair of Lakes from JEJames this afternoon. £29.99

Whatever you get, try them on first
Sub £30 is a bargain. JE James on Bramall Lane/Asline Rd junction?
My problem is finding shoes in-store that fit my size 12 feet!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tynan said:
stuff them full of newspaper balled up and put them on a radiator if possible and the dry remarkably quickly

Newspaper works really well (even on my ridiculously padded trainers). If you work in a fair size city, you can usually pick up one of the freesheets on your way in for just this purpose.

Maz

Guru
Tynan said:
There's the rub...mine dry out fine WHEN I remember to put them on the radiator!

Top Bottom