Short duathlon -transition advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RickB

professional procrastinator
Hi all. Been roped into trying my hand at a short duathlon by another guy who has never been near one either. I don't run but have done a couple of mile today just to make sure I can make it in not too embarrassing a time!!

It's 2 mile run, 10 bike, 2 run.

Question is what footwear do I go with on the bike? Do I try to change out of runners to my clip ins and back again or just make do with trainers and flats? Will a minute lost changing shoes be made up again on the bike over such a short course?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Flats, given you're having to make the change twice otherwise.

OP
OP
RickB

RickB

Much appreciated Ajax. Was starting to think that. Would old fashioned toe clips be any advantage?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Resolve to go for a quick run (ie max 5 minutes) round the block at the end of each of your normal cycles, just to get the feel of it. Put a pair of trainers out ready.

Tri clipless shoes use some form of quick fastening, and are clipped into the pedals at the transition, ready to slip your feet in and tighten on the go.
If you choose running shoes and flats, toe clips will help a lot. You have to match the grippyness of the sole to the slipperyness of the pedal, or your show will slip out in use, or won't slide in cleanly. MKS Sylvian pedals work well with a basic road style tread. Toe clips come in different sizes. Leather straps hold their shape better than nylon ones. No-one uses old fashioned cleats in toe clips any more.

LocalLad

If you're leaving them clipped, practice a lot! I can't even imagine trying that approach without going arse over tit

OP
OP
RickB

RickB

This. Leave the shoes clipped to the pedals.

If you're leaving them clipped, practice a lot! I can't even imagine trying that approach without going arse over tit
^_^ yep, reckon I'd fall off too trying that one.

We won't be taking it that seriously but obviously want to do as well as I can. Tried pedalling today with runners and flats and didn't like it at all. Didn't feel near as fluid as when I'm clipped in and and seemed slower/harder work though conditions weren't good either.

bathtub

My advice for a beginner would be to buy some elastic lock lace shoelaces like these :-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elastic-Laces-Shoelaces-Running-Triathlon/dp/B00B19NM72
Practise running with them in your run shoes to make sure the adjustment is right and also taking shoes off and putting back on quickly.
On race day use these run shoes then change into your clipless pedals for bike section then change back again into run shoes for last run.
I would suggest you practise doing some running straight after you get off your bike after your ride, only needs to be about 10-15 minutes about once a week, It will all help to prepare you for race day.
Good Luck

OP
OP
RickB

RickB

Decided after todays experience with and without clips I feel much better with clips so a few seconds more changing shoes would be worth if only to feel I'm going as fast as I can on the bike!

Ordered those laces to give them a go!

many thanks for all the help and hopefully I wont get injured while trying to run! :blush:

Top Bottom